The Worcester Youth Orchestras: Artistic Director/Conductor
The Artistic Director/Conductor (AD) of the Worcester Youth Orchestras serves as the artistic oversight person, conductor and one of the spokespersons of the organization whose primary responsibility will be rehearsals and performances for two orchestras: Worcester Youth Symphony Orchestra (WYSO) and Worcester Youth Preparatory Orchestra (WYPO). The AD reports to the Board of Directors and, with the Board of Directors, is responsible for ensuring that the organization realizes its mission. Together with the Board, the AD is accountable for the organization’s activities and operations and the success or failure of the organization.
The AD provides general oversight of and assistance to all organization activities including program development, public relations, and constituency development.
The Artistic Director/Conductor:
1. In fufilling the Orchestras’ mission, keeps informed of developments in the field of youth orchestras; and monitors trends which might impact organizational health.
2. With the Board of Directors, establishes short and long-term strategic goals to achieve the Orchestras’ mission.
3. Develops, directs and evaluates program activities to meet objectives of the strategic plan.
4. Recommends policies to the Board of Directors and administers said policies.
5. Maintains a climate that attracts, keeps, and motivates top quality students, professionals and volunteers.
6. Oversees, evaluates and modifies existing or implements new educational and enrichment programs, including on-site, off-site, and special outreach programs.
7. Oversees, evaluates and modifies if necessary the Orchestras’ volunteer program.
In fulfilling the above responsibilities, The Artistic Director’s job includes the following additional specific tasks:
1. Recruits students.
2. Arrange/adapt music parts as needed.
3. Handles placement of new students.
4. Consults with parents regarding specific policy/music issues; responds and, when needed, addresses concerns.
5. Plans, oversees and manages curriculum and scheduling.
6. Plans and coordinates all performance activities.
7. Supervises faculty and staff to assure high quality educational and program service.
8. Organizes, attends and manages faculty meetings.
9. Provides the Board with a Performance Budget for each performance and a rehearsal and performance schedule to the Board for its approval. The rehearsal and performance schedule shall be provided to the Board by June 30. The Performance Budget shall be provided to the Board by September 1.
10. Attends Board meetings.
11. Contributes to the Orchestras’ semesterly newsletter.
Primary Working Relationships
1. Ability to motivate young musicians in a positive and supportive manner while maintaining equity among performers and high standards.
2. Maturity and comfort in dealing with and responding to parental concerns, questions.
3. Access to e-mail and telephone on a regular basis in order to respond to administrative concerns from school / WYO staff; and parents, and ability to respond in a timely fashion to all inquiries.
4. Ability to work as a member of a team with regard to participating in performances and coordinating rehearsal time.
5. In addition to working closely with volunteers, faculty and staff, the Artistic Director works with community constituents, the media, businesses, donors and funding sources.
About this entry
You’re currently reading “The Worcester Youth Orchestras: Artistic Director/Conductor,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- August 2, 2012 / 8:51 am
- position - youth orchestra