Posting for Music Director/Conductor Search Youth Music Monterey County
Posting for Music Director/Conductor Search
(35k to 45k commensurate with experience/residency)
We are accepting submissions through February 1, 2012
Youth Music Monterey County seeks an inspiring and visionary Music Director.
The Music Director will lead existing and develop new bold, dynamic and innovative
programs to ignite a passion for classical music in young people, inspiring young
musicians and audiences alike.
The Youth Music Monterey County Music Director is responsible for the artistic
development of two orchestras, and supervision of other YMMC programs, (The
Chamber Players, and The South County Strings program, which provides in-school
string instruction to underserved rural communities in Monterey County) with the goal
of enabling and inspiring members to achieve excellence. The Music Director advises
and participates in all aspects of an artistically, pedagogically and financially successful
organization. The Music Director reports to the Board of Directors and works closely
with key office staff.
The Music Director, in conjunction with the Program Director and staff, serves as an
artistic liaison to the community; with parents, students, funders, music professionals,
school educators, local and state government, and traditional and new media.
For over 40 years, YMMC has provided high-caliber music education and ensembleplaying opportunities for young people throughout Monterey County. YMMC’s unique
programs, the Junior Youth and Honors Orchestras, South County Strings, and
Chamber Players Program, enrich the lives of students and their communities and
facilitate greater appreciation of music.
Founded by Ruth Phillips Fenton, Youth Music Monterey County was established as a
501(c) (3) organization in 1988 with the merger of two programs: the Youth Orchestra of
Monterey County (est. 1981) and Summer Music Monterey (est. 1965).
In the North County/Peninsula/Salinas area, Our Junior Youth and Honors Orchestra
program provides two levels of orchestra experience, intermediate (Junior Youth), and
advanced (Honors), allowing students the opportunity to ultimately study and play
standard symphonic repertoire. These audition-based orchestras include approximately
100 students ages 8-20 from over 35 schools throughout Monterey County. The
orchestras perform concerts to much acclaim each season. The orchestras program has
allowed our young students to study under the baton of distinguished conductors,
including Stuart Robertson, Vincent Gomez, and John Larry Granger. Over the years, YMMC has benefitted through affiliations and collaborations with the Eastman School of
Music, Monterey Jazz Festival, Carmel Bach Festival and the Monterey Symphony.
YMMC’s South County Strings program provides free music instruction to 75 students in
the Bradley, San Lucas, and San Antonio School Districts, bringing instruments and music
instruction to areas where the opportunity would not otherwise exist.
MUSIC DIRECTOR’S DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Artistic Oversight and Responsibility
1. Plan and conduct a minimum of 3 classical concerts, and one holidays pops
concert, with two orchestras in a joint presentation, for a total of at least four
concerts per season. At least one of those concerts might include a collaborative
performance with the Monterey Symphony.
2. Conduct auditions and place students in appropriate ensembles.
3. Lead rehearsals in a positive and creative manner to inspire a passion for
music and the pursuit of excellence.
4. Assist in recruiting students to YMMC throughout the year through school
visits, contact with local music teachers, and collaboration with other music
organizations. Foster a strong and mutually beneficial relationship with teachers
and professional musicians. Develop new ways to attract students.
5. Work with the Board of Directors and key office staff to plan, evaluate, and
review the music programs of YMMC. Discuss student and parent feedback, and
initiate agreed upon changes.
6. Work closely with key staff and board of directors to plan and administer
7. Communicate with office in a timely manner regarding library issues, i.e.:
editions, bowings, rental costs, etc.
8. Work with the Board and staff to develop long-range artistic and educational
goals for YMMC.
9. Participate in the promotion of all YMMC programs.
10. Work closely with sectional coaches in preparation for sectional rehearsals.Administrative Responsibilities
1. Foster a collegial working relationship with orchestra members, parents,
music teachers, volunteers, staff and the Board of Directors.
2. Participate as an Ex-Officio member of the YMMC Board of Directors. Present
a monthly music director’s report at each board meeting.
3. Support development and marketing activities. Serve as spokesperson in the
community and fund raising events.
4. Maintain regular communication with the staff and Board of Directors.
5. Write a monthly letter for students, parents and supporters for the YMMC
website in order to encourage and support the organization.
6. Provide a letter for the program about the musical selections for each concert.
7. Be a visible and active part of the cultural community.
8. Help to develop a bold and dynamic image of YMMC in the community.
9. Support all policies and procedures as established by the Board of Directors.
We are accepting submissions through February 1, 2012. Please submit to the following
by email or mail to:
Music Director Search Committee
Youth Music Monterey County
546 Hartnell St., Suite B
Monterey, CA 93940
2) rehearsal footage, 2 hours unedited preferred, (other footage also acceptable) in
DVD format or website link
3) Three references
4) Letter stating personal philosophy of the role of a youth orchestra music director.
For more information on YMMC, please visit our website at:
About this entry
You’re currently reading “Posting for Music Director/Conductor Search Youth Music Monterey County,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- December 4, 2011 / 10:56 am
- position - youth orchestra