Northumberland Orchestra and Choir Job Posting – Music Director
Northumberland Orchestra and Choir
Job Posting – Music Director
The Northumberland Orchestra & Choir (NOC) announces a unique opportunity for a
dynamic conductor to assume the position of Music Director for the 2013-14 concert
season. The NOC is based in Cobourg, Ontario.
The Music Director will inspire and guide community choir (SATB) and orchestra members
of varying degrees of skill and experience in a positive manner, encouraging all musicians
to aim for excellence while promoting an atmosphere of joy in the art of making music,
where the members feel valued and respected.
The new Music Director(s) will receive a salary, to be negotiated.
• Canadian citizen or landed immigrant
• Excellent communication skills and a desire to connect with audiences
• Residency within a 100km radius of Cobourg is desirable, but it is more important
that the Music Director be willing and able to connect with community musicians of
all ages and ability levels
• Advanced music degree and demonstrated podium experience
• Strong knowledge of choral and orchestral repertoire
• Capacity to organize and conduct the choir and orchestra in rehearsals leading up
to four public performances scheduled as follows:
o November 23, 2013
o February 8, 2014
o March 22, 2014
o May 12, 2014
To apply, please provide the following by no later than April 30, 2013:
• Letter of interest that articulates your vision of how you would attempt to grow
membership in the choir and orchestra, addressed to Jeff Mitchell, PresidentNorthumberland Orchestra & Choir, P.O. Box 1021, Cobourg, On or via email at
• Curriculum vitae outlining citizenship, contact information, relevant professional or
management website, information regarding educational background and music 2
activities (professional or otherwise), and a list of three professional references
with contact information.