Hong Kong Children’s Symphony Orchestra presents Hong Kong Mahler Orchestral Workshop, Summer 2013
Hong Kong Children’s Symphony Orchestra presents
Hong Kong Mahler Orchestral Workshop, Summer 2013
Conducting Masterclass Information
8-day Workshop from 17th to 24th August, 2013
Hong Kong Cultural Centre / Yip’s Children’s Performing Arts Centre
Age 30 and below Music students / Individuals with conducting experiences in orchestras or ensembles
Maestro Jimmy Chiang
Conductor and pianist living in Vienna, First Prize Winner of the 4th International Competition for Young Conductors “Lovro von Matacic” in Zagreb, began his musical education in Hong Kong at the age of four with piano, later also with composition and violoncello. He received the Fellows Diploma from Trinity College of London, Bachelor of Music Degree from Baylor University in the United States and “Magister Artium” with distinction from the University for Music and Performing Arts in Vienna, where he was the last student of the renowned Austrian conductor and Mozart Interpreter – Leopold Hager. In 2003 upon invitation of Seiji Ozawa, Chiang was one of the three Fellow Conductors at the Rohm Music Festival in Kyoto, Japan, where he studied closely with the master himself.
From 2004 to 2006, he was musical assistant and conductor of opera productions at the Schlosstheater Schönbrunn in Vienna. Since 2007, Chiang appeared regularly as Assistant Music Director at Theater Lübeck and the Eutin Festival in Germany. From 2009 to 2011, he was Principal Conductor of Theater Freiburg, where he directed numerous productions with international recognitions such as Le Grand Macabre (Ligeti) with renowned Spanish Stage Director Calixto Bieito and Orpheus in der Unterwelt (Offenbach), among others. In 2010 Chiang made his Debut as guest conductor at the Komische Oper Berlin with La Traviata (Verdi). Chiang’s uprising conducting career in Europe has made him front cover of the international opera magazine “Orpheus” in 2009 as well as his recent success at the Festival Internacional de las Artes de Castilla y León in Spain for contemporary music. Orchestras that he had worked with included Radio Symphony Orchestra of Vienna, La Orquesta Sinfónica de Castilla y León, Zagreb Philharmonic, Lübeck Philharmonic, Oradea Philharmonic, Hong Kong Sinfonietta and Ensemble Amadeus, which he founded in 2000 in Texas, the United States. Chiang serves also currently as Principal Guest Conductor of the Hong Kong Pan Asia Symphony Orchestra.
Alongside his international career as a conductor, Chiang remains active as concert pianist since the age of 13. In addition, he is highly demanded as a vocal coach and an international acclaimed accompanist at major singing competitions, masterclasses, and song recitals.
Schubert Symphony No.5
Mahler Symphony No.5
Other excerpts will be announced. Please check http://www.yipshk.com
Application Fee (non-refundable):
Active Conductor: USD $40
Auditor: USD $20
For International Applicants: Please email contact: email@example.com
Course Fee (non-refundable):
Active Conductor: USD $600
– 6 active conductors will have daily masterclasses with piano, 3 selected conductors will have 30 minutes podium time with the orchestra on 23rd July
Auditor: USD $150
– can attend all rehearsals and masterclasses from 17th to 24th August, 2013
Application & Audition
1. Submit a resume, the completed application form and application fee to the HKCSO either by mail (address: Yip’s Performing Arts Centre, 1/F Wah Chi Mansion, 292 Temple Street, Jordan, Kowloon; Attn: HKCSO Summer Workshop) by 12nd July, 2013, or alternatively by email to firstname.lastname@example.org the application fee submitted no more than 5 days after the application deadline.
2. Prepare a face-to-the-camera video of (i) yourself conducting an ensemble in rehearsal and/or performance (10 to 20 minutes); using smaller ensemble (i.e. String Quartet with piano or Two pianos) to play a reduced version of a composition is also acceptable; (ii) briefly introduce yourself in Chinese or English within one minute.
3. Upload your video to online hosts, and send the video link to email@example.com 18th July, 2013; or submit an audition video DVD.
**Results will be announced on 22nd July, 2013, successful applicants should submit the course fee in 7 days
About this entry
You’re currently reading “Hong Kong Children’s Symphony Orchestra presents Hong Kong Mahler Orchestral Workshop, Summer 2013,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- June 28, 2013 / 9:48 am