The Richmond Symphony: Associate Conductor
Steven Smith, Music Director
Announces the following Audition:
May 24 & 25, 2014
The Richmond Symphony seeks a talented, enthusiastic conductor to lead the top youth orchestra (RSYO), as well as a number of its education, family, pops, and classical concerts. The ideal candidate possesses strong communication and organizational skills as well as strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with staff, colleagues, students, and parents. In addition to being a positive and imaginative leader, the candidate should have the ability to pay significant attention to detail, efficient time-management skills, experience researching programs and artists, and be flexible and adaptive in a highly-charged, fast-paced environment.
- Master of Music in Conducting or equivalent experience.
- Highly qualified with experience conducting a wide variety of levels.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Rehearsal/performance duties: RSO educational programs (Discovery school-day and LolliPops family concerts, Come and Play), RSYO concerts, and a number of other programs as assigned
- Programming responsibilities: participation in programming discussions with the Music Director, Executive Director, Director of Education and Community Engagement, Director of Operations, Board of Directors, and related committees
- Audition responsibilities: RSYO auditions, covering for the Music Director as needed for Symphony auditions
- Other roles/responsibilities: speaking engagements, in-school conducting, and covering for or assisting the Music Director as needed.
- Masters degree in conducting or higher, or equivalent experience is preferred
- Experience conducting a wide variety of levels (i.e., high school, college, community, and/or professional); weighted consideration will be given for youth orchestra experience
- Authorization to work in the United States
- Richmond Symphony employees are required to complete an I-9 and to provide corresponding documentation when they begin work, which could consist of a trial period. Failure to do so may result in the forfeiture of a position and/or trial period.
- Employment offers are contingent on a job-related criminal background check.
Applicants must Submit:
- Video recording (YouTube or Vimeo, please provide link and password)
- Full resume and repertoire list (of music performed in concert)
- 3 sample programs: a community or chamber concert with core orchestra, a 50-minute Discovery school day SOL (Standards of Learning) connected curriculum, and a 1-hour youth orchestra program (without intermission)
- A cover letter and 2-3 letters of reference
- Application deadline is January 15, 2014. Electronic submission is highly encouraged.
- Final candidates will interview with a committee consisting of the Music Director, Executive Director, musicians, staff, and board members.
- Final auditions will take place May 24-25, 2014.
- The final audition will include: conducting the RSYO and RSO, repertoire including a concerto and other assigned works (list provided upon invitation to audition), an introduction of one of the assigned works as if to an audience.
- Final candidates will be notified no later than February 28, 2014.
About the Richmond Symphony
Founded in 1957, the Richmond Symphony Orchestra is committed to providing outstanding and innovative concert experiences of symphonic music of all kinds, through its main series, including Masterworks, Metro, Pops, LolliPops, and Discovery. The Richmond Symphony sponsors a 150-voice volunteer chorus as well as four youth orchestras, ranging from beginning to advanced students, including two string and two full orchestras. Each 38-week concert season, a complement of 36 full-time core and 36 per-service members makes more than 200 public appearances, where as many as 200,000 Virginians across the Commonwealth are reached through concerts, education programs, statewide touring, and weekly radio broadcasts on 88.9 WCVE-FM.
The Richmond Symphony is an equal opportunity employer. It reserves the right to dismiss any candidate who does not meet the required standards.
To apply, please submit requested application materials to:
Richmond Symphony Orchestra
612 East Grace St., Suite 401
Richmond, VA 23219
Highly qualified applicants please submit required materials by January 15 to: Lauramarie Laskey, Operations Assistant AssocCondAudition@richmondsymphony.com