The Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony is pleased to announce an Assistant Conductor position
The Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony is pleased to announce an Assistant Conductor position which will
provide a major opportunity for a young Canadian conductor to work on a daily basis with a leading
professional symphony orchestra and youth orchestra. The Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony consists of 52
full-time musicians and currently performs a 38-week season. The KWS Youth Orchestra has 75 members
performing 4 concerts per season.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Work in conjunction with the Music Director, Executive Director, Director of Education &
Community Programs, Artistic Administrator and other key staff, the Assistant Conductor will plan
and conduct educational concerts, community concerts and other special concerts as assigned.
2. Serve as cover conductor for rehearsals and concerts and other programs as assigned. This includes
personal preparation of all scores and providing written and verbal feedback on artistic matters
relating to repertory (balance, intonation, dynamics, ensemble issues, etc.).
3. Conducting all rehearsals and concerts including those on run outs or tours, as assigned.
4. Conducting the Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony Youth Orchestra Program, Senior Youth Orchestra.
Working with other Youth Orchestra Program conductors and staff on planning, programming and
auditioning for the Youth Orchestra Program.
5. Support the work of the Education department in the creation and delivery of Education and
Community Programs, including developing partnerships and seeking opportunities to engage with
6. If so directed, to assist the technical staff in the post-production editing of KWS performance
recordings for archival or broadcast use.
7. In conjunction with KWS staff, develop and implement new media initiatives.
8. Participate as directed in planning meetings, media events, fundraising activities, speaking
engagements, educational and outreach opportunities, development meetings and activities,
administrative meetings and other activities as determined and identified by management.
9. Perform other duties and functions as assigned by the Music Director.
1. High level orchestral conducting experience and broad knowledge of orchestral repertoire and
2. Advanced degree in conducting strongly preferred.
3. Fluent in English and able to communicate effectively to musicians, staff and a wide range of
audience members. An exceptional level of aural skill will be expected of candidates.
4. All applicants for the position of Assistant Conductor with the Kitchener Waterloo Symphony must
be Canadian citizens, Canadian residents or have the ability to work in Canada.
1. All applications must be received by Monday, March 3, 2014 and should include full curriculum
vitae detailing educational background and professional experience as an instrumentalist and conductor, as well as a DVD or video files of a performance with a live ensemble, orchestra if
possible. Candidates will be informed of their status by Monday, March 10, 2014
2. Please include three letters of recommendation.
3. The search committee, chaired by KWS Music Director Edwin Outwater, will receive all
applications for the position in confidence.
4. Selected candidates will be required to take a general musicianship exam; they will be
required to prepare and perform music from several different periods, perform one work
without rehearsal, and to introduce music from the podium. The auditions will take place in
Kitchener on April 2, 2014.
Applications should be sent to the attention of:
Amy Higgins, Executive Assistant
36 King Street West
Kitchener, ON N2G-1A3