The Vancouver Youth Symphony Orchestra (“VYSO”) is seeking two String Orchestra Conductors, one for its Debut Orchestra and a second for its Junior Orchestra in response to a retirement. VYSO is inviting applications for these two positions.
The Vancouver Youth Symphony Orchestra (“VYSO”) is seeking two String
Orchestra Conductors, one for its Debut Orchestra and a second for its Junior
Orchestra in response to a retirement. VYSO is inviting applications for these
Founded in 1930, the VYSO has a long proud history of providing young
musicians with a high standard of orchestral training, in a safe and secure
environment. The VYSO consists of approximately 285 musicians and four
POSITION TITLE: 1. String Orchestra Conductor – Debut Orchestra
2. String Orchestra Conductor – Junior Orchestra
Debut Orchestra: The position of Debut Orchestra Conductor is to teach ensemble skills
and conduct string musicians aged 8 to 11, who have little or no previous ensemble experience.
To ensure a high quality learning and musical experience that provides a positive association to
playing in an ensemble.
Junior Orchestra: The position of Junior Orchestra Conductor is to teach ensemble skills,
conduct and select repertoire that helps to strengthen string ensemble skills and continues to
develop musical maturity, while maintaining a supportive, fun and friendly environment for
musicians of ages generally ranging from 10 to 13 years old.
The above positions will report to Artistic Director.
1. Conduct or supervise Saturday morning rehearsals – September thru end of May,
except for Christmas Holidays and the school Spring Break. When a sectional
rehearsal is held, the Conductor will act as one of the sectional coaches, and will
direct all other coaches.
2. Manage, direct and oversee String Assistants.
3. In consultation with Artistic Director, confirm arrangements with guest artists.
1 | Page
4. Conduct a minimum of three concerts (including an outreach concert) during the
season. Other VYSO orchestras or orchestra members may participate in any of
these concerts, as mutually agreed between Artistic Director and Conductors.
5. Select appropriate orchestra repertoire, in consultation with Artistic Director.
6. Plan and direct the musical program for at least one weekend orchestra workshop or
7. Select coaches for sectional rehearsals and workshops, in consultation with Artistic
8. Set the musical goals for the sectional coaches.
9. Select adjudicators for auditions of prospective members of the Orchestra in
consultation with Music Director Committee.
10. Conduct auditions of prospective members of the Orchestra and the final decision as
to acceptance will be made by the audition committee.
11. Select a suitable replacement in the event that the Conductor is unable to conduct or
supervise a regular weekly rehearsal or sectional rehearsal, in consultation with
12. Provide the Orchestra Manager with sufficient advance notice of information that she
requires in order to support the musical activities of the String Orchestras. This
information includes, but is not limited to: the musical programs for concerts; the
musical works to be selected from the library and handed out to musicians; musical
works not in the library which must be ordered; requirements for extra rehearsals,
extra rehearsal rooms, or changes to rehearsal times; and requirements for unusual
instruments which must be borrowed.
13. Participate in all meetings of the Music Directors’ Committee.
14. Attend VYSO planning and board meetings as requested by the President of the
The successful candidate will:
• be a talented musician, with expertise playing string instruments
• competent conducting skills, previous experience preferred
• experience in music teaching (Either classroom or private instruction)
• experience working with youth, music students and people, from diverse ethnic and
• demonstrate strong leadership skills
• effective interpersonal and communication skills to interact with youth, parents,
audiences and other members of the VSYO organization
• demonstrate strong organization skills
Our ideal candidate is an educator, artist and teamplayer, who truly enjoys working with young
musicians and will both respect and inspire them.
2 | Page
At all times while working on behalf of the VYSO, the Conductor will behave in a professional,
respectful and appropriate manner in keeping with VYSO Guidelines and Policies.
The successful candidate will be required to complete a criminal record check for work with the
vulnerable sector and must be qualified to work in Canada.
APPLICATIONS TO INCLUDE:
• Cover Letter
• Contact information for 3 references
• DVD of Applicant conducting, (optional – no longer than 10 minutes)
AUDITIONS: Selected applicants will need to be available May 17, 2014 for a conducting
demonstration to be held at the VYSO rehearsal venue in Vancouver. Please note – Travel
costs will not be reimbursed by VYSO.
START DATE: The successful candidate must be ready to commence his/her duties
DEADLINE AND SUBMISSION: March 1, 2014 – No Phone Calls Please.
Please submit your applications by mail or email as follows:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Place position title that you are applying for or both in the subject line
Mail: Attention: Holly Littleford
Vancouver Youth Symphony Orchestra
Debut and Junior String Conductor Search
3214 W. 10th Avenue
For more information visit www. vyso.com
About this entry
You’re currently reading “The Vancouver Youth Symphony Orchestra (“VYSO”) is seeking two String Orchestra Conductors, one for its Debut Orchestra and a second for its Junior Orchestra in response to a retirement. VYSO is inviting applications for these two positions.,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- February 1, 2014 / 5:51 pm