ROCKFORD SYMPHONY YOUTH ORCHESTRA (RSYO), ILLINOIS Position: Music Director and Conductor.
The Rockford Symphony is seeking a Conductor for the Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra, beginning July 1, 2014. This is a salaried, part-time position, reporting to the Music Director. Duties include:
- Serve as music director and conductor for the Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra.
- Lead all RSYO rehearsals and provide notes for the orchestra
- Conduct RSYO auditions and determine seating and ensemble participants
- Determine repertoire for RSYO and RSYO Honors Chamber Orchestra and assist ensemble coaches with repertoire for Sterling String Quartet, Brass Choir, Woodwind Quintet, and Percussion Ensemble
- Develop and coordinate planning and implementation of all RSYO programs and initiatives with RSO Education Director
- Select coaches for sectional rehearsals
- Communicate regularly with ensemble coaches
- Communicate repertoire to RSO Librarian
- Develop and maintain annual budget in partnership with the RSO Education Director
- Designate guests artists and ringers if necessary for RSYO concert programs with budget considerations
- Communicate instrumentation and equipment needs to the Stage Manager
- Determine eligible RSYO members to participate in the annual Side-by-Side concert with the RSO with approval from the RSO Music Director
- Develop activities and plan for the orchestra’s annual Camp RSYO retreat
- Assist the Education Director to develop and maintain budget for RSYO season and in the development of the annual calendar of rehearsals and events
- Communicate with RSYO members in regard to rehearsal notes and concert related information
- Plan and direct recruitment efforts with the assistance of the RSO Education Director
- Supervise RSYO intern(s)
- Speak publicly when called upon to do so as an advocate for the RSYO and music education and provide leadership in the arts community as relates to music education for youth.
- Maintain current knowledge of industry best practices and standards in youth orchestra management.
- Maintain effective communication with RSYO members, parents, coaches, and RSO staff
- Maintain current knowledge of regional schools and community music schools with band and orchestra programs and maintain collegial relationships with directors of these programs
- Willingness to embrace and adhere to RSO mission and vision
- Maintain current understanding of and effectively utilize computer programs
- Willingness to be a flexible and committed team-member with the RSO administrative and artistic staff
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills
- Minimum master’s degree in Music Performance, Conducting, or Music Education, with at least two years’ experience leading a full orchestra
- String player preferred
Accepting applicants until the position is filled.
Please submit a letter of interest and a resume to:
Steven Larsen, Music Director
Rockford Symphony Orchestra
711 N. Main Street
Rockford, IL 61103