Lions Gate Sinfonia (“LGS”) is inviting application for the position of Assistant Conductor
Lions Gate Sinfonia (“LGS”) is inviting application for the position of Assistant
Founded in 2000, the LGS is the professional orchestra of the North Shore of
Vancouver, Canada. LGS artistic director and founding conductor, Clyde
Mitchell has had a long and impressive career as performer, conductor,
arranger and outspoken advocate for music education. For more information
about the LGS and its artistic director see http://lionsgatesinfonia.com and
The AOC, working under the direction and mentorship of Clyde Mitchell, will
be responsible for the Lions Gate Junior Orchestra (LGJO), will act as
alternate conductor of the Lions Gate Youth Orchestra (LGYO) and will act as
assistant conductor of the LGS professional orchestra.
The Lions Gate Sinfonia launched its senior youth orchestra (LGYO) in 2011
for youth ages 13 to 19. In addition to musical training, we looked to create a
program that would widen the focus to include leadership and teamwork
experiences and to create a dynamic peer group that collaborates towards
common goals set out by the students themselves. In the 2014/15 season we
will launch our Junior Orchestra for youth as young as age 9.
Lions Gate Sinfonia’s youth programs take a comprehensive approach to
performance training. The program features coaching from our professional
orchestra musicians, traditional full-orchestra and sectional rehearsals, and
unique sessions on the non-musical aspects of performance. See
http://www.lionsgateyo.com for more information on the youth programs.
POSITION TITLE: Assistant Conductor
Conductor Lions Gate Junior Orchestra (LGJO): The role of Junior Orchestra
Conductor is to teach ensemble skills, conduct and select repertoire that helps to
strengthen string ensemble skills (the junior orchestra is primarily envisioned as a strings
ensemble) and continue to develop musical maturity, while maintaining a fair, supportive,
fun and friendly environment for musicians of ages generally ranging from 9 to 13 years
old. In consultation with the Artistic Director the Assistant Conductor will select and
prepare repertoire and plan concerts and events for the LGJO.
Assistant Conductor Professional Orchestra (LGS): The role of assistant conductor
of the professional orchestra is a support role for the artistic director and conductor.
Responsibilities include, but may not: occasional conducting responsibilities for the
professional orchestra in a rehearsal setting, Leadership and conducting of sectional
rehearsals and small group outreach concerts and other musical support as required.
Assistant Conductor Senior Youth Orchestra (LGYO): The role of assistant
conductor of the senior youth orchestra is a backup role for the artistic director and conductor. Responsibilities include: occasional conducting responsibilities for the senior
youth orchestra in a rehearsal and, occasionally, performance setting, Leadership and
conducting of sectional rehearsals and small group outreach concerts and other support
as required, coordination and support of the biyearly recruiting process.
This position will report to the Artistic Director LGS.
With regard to the Junior Orchestra Conductor Role
1. Conduct or supervise Thursday afternoon rehearsals – September thru end
of May, except for Christmas Holidays and the school Spring Break. When a
sectional rehearsal is held, the Conductor will act as one of the sectional
coaches, and will direct all other coaches.
2. Manage, direct and oversee parent volunteers.
3. In consultation with Artistic Director, confirm arrangements with guest artists.
4. Conduct a minimum of three concerts (including an outreach concert) during
the season. Other LGS orchestras or orchestra members may participate in
any of these concerts, as mutually agreed between Artistic Director and
5. Select appropriate orchestra repertoire, in consultation with Artistic Director.
6. In consultation with the Artistic Director plan and direct the musical program
for one weekend orchestra workshop or camp.
7. Select coaches for sectional rehearsals and workshops, in consultation with
8. Set the musical goals for the sectional coaches.
9. Adjudicate applications for prospective members of the Orchestra in
consultation with Music Director.
10. Select and arrange a suitable replacement in the event that the Assistant
Conductor is unable to conduct or supervise a regular weekly rehearsal or
sectional rehearsal, in consultation with Artistic Director.
11. Provide the Youth Orchestra Working committee (a support committee of
board members and parents) sufficient advance notice of information that she
requires in order to support the musical activities of the String Orchestras.
This information includes, but is not limited to: the musical programs for
concerts; the musical works to be selected from the library and handed out to
musicians; musical works not in the library which must be ordered;
requirements for extra rehearsals, extra rehearsal rooms, or changes to
rehearsal times; and requirements for unusual instruments which must be
12. Participate in all meetings of the Youth Orchestra Working committee.
13. Attend LGS planning and board meetings as requested by the Board of
Direector of the LGS.
With regard to the Senior Orchestra and LGS Assistant Conductor Role
1. Attend Senior Orchestra and LGS rehearsals as planned and agreed with the
2. In cases where the LGS conductor is unavailable and prearrangements have
been made conduct and supervise rehearsals and, if needed, performances
of the orchestras. 3. Act as a coach in sectional rehearsals as needed.
The successful candidate will:
• Preferably be someone with expertise and experience performing and
teaching upper strings, with ability to work with all strings.
• display competent conducting skills, previous experience preferred
• has experience in music teaching (Either classroom or private instruction)
• have experience and interest in arranging for various combinations (Not a
requirement but a nice to have)
• have experience working with youth, music students and people, ideally from
diverse ethnic and economic backgrounds
• demonstrate strong leadership skills
• have effective interpersonal and communication skills to interact with youth,
parents, audiences and other members of the LGS organization
• demonstrate strong organization skills
Our ideal candidate is an educator, artist and team player, with an enthusiasm for
working with young musicians and who will both respect and inspire them. Knowledge of
and connections in the North Shore Vancouver community area would be advantageous.
The successful candidate will be required to complete a criminal record check for work
with the youth and must be qualified to work in Canada.
APPLICATIONS TO INCLUDE:
• _Cover Letter
• _Contact information for 3 references
• _DVD of Applicant conducting, (optional – no longer than 10 minutes)
AUDITIONS: Selected applicants will need to be complete a conducting demonstration
to be held at the LGS rehearsal venue in West Vancouver. Please note – Travel costs
will not be reimbursed by LGS.
START DATE: The successful candidate must be ready to commence his/her duties
DEADLINE AND SUBMISSION: June 15, 2014 – No Phone Calls Please.
Please submit your applications by mail or email as follows:
Mail: Attention: Paul Egger: Director
Assistant Conductor Search
Lions Gate Sinfonia
852 – 1641 Lonsdale Avenue
North Vancouver, BC V7M 2J5
For more information visit http://www.lionsgatesinfonia.com