The Reston Chorale is accepting applications for a part-time Associate Director to assist the Artistic Director with the 90+ voice, auditioned adult choir. Founded in 1967, The Reston Chorale performs music genres ranging from pops to major choral works. During the 2014-15 Season, the Chorale will perform (among many other works): Donald McCullough’s Holocaust Cantata, Harry Simeone’s Twas the Night Before Christmas and Louis Vierne’s Messe Solennelle.
This position is designed to be a career-building opportunity, and is ideal for individuals that wish to gain valuable experience and strengthen choral conducting skills by working with a seasoned conductor and strong choral ensemble. Associate Directors typically remain with The Reston Chorale for up to two seasons. Previous Associate Directors have gone on to secure permanent positions with churches, universities, and volunteer or professional choral ensembles in Washington, DC, Atlanta and New York.
Among other responsibilities, the Associate Director:
1. Fills in for the Artistic Director as needed during Chorale rehearsals (Tuesday evenings, 7:30 – 10:00 pm);
2. Conducts sectionals;
3. Attends all regular rehearsals, occasional Saturday morning “marathon” rehearsals (usually 2-3 per season), dress rehearsals and performances;
4. Conducts one or more pieces during Chorale concerts;
5. Participates in select community outreach performances, and
6. Collaborates with and takes direction from the Artistic Director.
In addition, the Associate Director will conduct The Reston Chorale’s Camerata, a 16-32 voice ensemble made up of select Chorale members in:
- Weekly rehearsals (Tuesday evenings, 6:30-7:15 pm) and
- Performances associated with The Reston Chorale concerts and in periodic community outreach events.
This position involves participation 8-9 months out of the year. During the 2014-2015 concert season, The Reston Chorale will begin rehearsals on September 2, 2014, and continue through the annual Holiday Concert on Saturday, December 6. 2014. Tuesday rehearsals will resume on January 6, 2015 and continue until the annual Pops Concert on Saturday, May 9, 2015.
The Associate Director will receive a stipend for the concert season, with payments in October, December, March and May. Bonus stipends will be provided for conducting Camerata in performances outside of regular Chorale concerts. This is a contract position. Benefits are not provided.
Interested candidates should forward their letter of interest and resume, by Monday, August 18, 2014, to firstname.lastname@example.org (with “Associate Director Position” in the Subject line) or via mail to The Reston Chorale, 2310 Colts Neck Road, Reston, VA 20191.