Full-Time Assistant Conductor Jacksonville Symphony
Full-Time Assistant Conductor
Date Posted: Jan. 8, 2015
Application Deadline: Feb. 6, 2015
Location: Jacksonville, FL
URL: www.jaxsymphony.org (vacancy not posted on site as of Jan. 8)
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serve as cover conductor and be of general assistance to the Music Director, Guest Conductors and Guest Artists for the most efficient preparation of concerts and recordings.
- Program and Conduct Educational and Engagement, Pops, Family, and other concerts as assigned.
- Represent the Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra as needed for promotional and development projects and events.
- Working with the VP of Education, create and program Educational concerts to include Family Series, Young People’s Concerts and Preludes
- Working with the VP, Artistic Planning and Operations, create and program occasional Pops concerts, Runouts, and Community and Engagement concerts throughout the season
- Substitute in case of emergency for assigned concerts and rehearsals
- At the discretion of the Music Director, lead Sectional rehearsals on an as needed basis
- Conducting opportunities for the Assistant Conductor include: One JSO subscription program per season (Masterworks or Classical concert); majority of Community concerts (particularly BRASS and ARIAS concerts); majority of Educational concerts (including Family Series, Young Peoples’ Concerts, and Prelude concerts); Pops Series concerts (on an as needed basis); other concerts as assigned
- Participate in auditions as needed
- Attend Artistic Advisory Committee Meetings as needed
- As needed, participate in the taping/editing of concerts for radio broadcasts & archival use
- Speak publicly as needed for development and marketing activities
- Expected weeks of residency to be a minimum of 25 weeks of covering and or conducting per season. The Assistant Conductor may be excused from covering duties via Mutual Agreement between the Association and the Assistant Conductor.
- Other duties as assigned
- Exceptional musicianship and conducting skills; knowledge of a broad range of repertoire, including Classical to Popular music; strong communication, interpersonal, leadership and organizational skills; strong conducting experience, especially with professional orchestra musicians; experience with education concerts, pops concerts, community/runout concerts desired.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience with an orchestra or Music Festival in Conducting.
- Bachelors level College or Conservatory degree in Music, Conducting or Music Education required. Advanced degree or training preferred.
- A detailed knowledge of orchestra operations, including understanding of orchestra concert programming and/or performance of orchestral repertoire, is essential for this position.
- Must be able to work with artists and a broad spectrum of personalities.
- Imagination, flexibility and the ability to work under pressure extremely important to this position.
- Must be able to live in Jacksonville, FL and work days, evenings and weekends as required.
- Applicant must be available for in person audition on Sunday, May 10, 2015 held at Jacoby Symphony Hall in Jacksonville, FL.
About: The Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra performs September through May at the Times-Union Center for the Performing Arts and in community venues throughout the First Coast and statewide. Founded in 1949, the Jacksonville Symphony has hosted some of the most renowned artists of the past century. The Jacksonville Symphony’s 2014-15 season features the debut of Courtney Lewis as music director designate.
As a not-for-profit institution, the Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra’s mission is to create experiences that enrich the human spirit and inspire a lifelong love of music. Each season nearly 70,000 young people and adults benefit from the Orchestra’s diverse educational and community engagement opportunities.
The Jacksonville Symphony offers live orchestral variety in the acoustically superb Jacoby Symphony Hall. Highlights in the 2014-15 season include Audra McDonald, Diana Krall and Paul Williams, as well as staged productions of Gershwin’s Porgy and Bess and Tchaikovsky’s Sleeping Beauty. For information, log on to JaxSymphony.org, call 904.354.5547, like us on Facebook or follow on Twitter.
To Apply: Please upload your resume and up to three (3) video samples of your prior conducting work as follows by 02/06/2015:
- Create a folder titled with the following format: Last Name_First Name
- Place your resume (PDF or word documents only) and up to three videos for upload into your folder
- Please label all files with your last name, first name and a short description of the file Example: Smith_John_Video_1
- Login with your Google account – or setup a free Gmail account. We recommend using Google Chrome or the latest version of Firefox as your browser
- Select Google Drive
- Select Upload Folder
- Once the folder has uploaded, select the Share icon and change the access settings to “anyone with the link”
- Share the entire folder with firstname.lastname@example.org
About this entry
You’re currently reading “Full-Time Assistant Conductor Jacksonville Symphony,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- January 8, 2015 / 12:35 pm