Music Director Cincinnati Chamber Orchestra | Cincinnati, OH
Cincinnati Chamber Orchestra | Cincinnati, OH
December 11, 2014 — The Cincinnati Chamber Orchestra announces a search for a new
music director and conductor for the first time in 14 years. The position will begin in
the 2017 season.
Background & Vision of the CCO: The Cincinnati Chamber Orchestra is an
independent ensemble of 32 musicians dedicated to offering a vibrant and fresh
musical experience in an intimate and informal setting, for both the seasoned and
novice concert patron. Having just celebrated its 40th Anniversary Season in 2013-14,
the CCO is the only professional chamber orchestra within 100 miles of the Queen
City. In August of 2015, the CCO is launching a new season format – a summer
chamber orchestra series – produced in Cincinnati, Ohio during the four weeks from
August 15 through September 3, 2015.
This award-winning ensemble is known for creative and groundbreaking
collaborations in the Queen City. Recent partnerships include the Xavier University
Department of Music and Theatre, MYCincinnati (an El Sistema-based youth music
program), VAE: Cincinnati’s Vocal Arts Ensemble, Exhale Dance Tribe and Madcap
Puppets. The CCO has also developed and performed chamber opera programs.
The CCO has a dedicated Board and staff and enjoys strong support from the local
community. The Search Committee seeks a music director who can build on the
organization’s record of success. To learn more about the CCO, please visit
Job Summary: The music director is responsible for maintaining the CCO’s artistic
vision and for realizing that vision in the Orchestra’s performances. The music director
works closely with the CCO’s Board, staff and members of the community to ensure a
Festival Dates: It is our intent to keep approximately the same timeline of the season
from mid-August to mid-September annually.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate for this position will:
● Have at least three years’ experience conducting professional ensembles at a
high level. We are looking for an individual with extraordinary artistic vision,
conducting skills and passion to inspire our musicians to attract and move our
● Demonstrate experience and effectiveness in supporting the staff and Board in
fundraising and audience development initiatives.
● Embrace the unique characteristics of the Cincinnati region.
● Have a passion and talent for education.
● View programming as an art form itself and understand its importance to
attracting and emotionally connecting with audiences.
● Recognize the need and have demonstrated the ability to be innovative in the
presentation of classical music.
● Celebrate the unique characteristics of a smaller ensemble, including the full
spectrum of available repertoire, from very early music to recent works and
● Demonstrate successful collaborations with other genres and art forms.
Responsibilities: The music director is responsible for planning and executing musical
activities for the season including but not limited to the following:
● Develop, propose and conduct enticing orchestral and chamber ensemble
concert programs to build audiences, including selection of music and artists,
schedules, rehearsals and concert dates.
● Assist with and participate in fundraising and public relations activities,
including presence at least one major fundraising event annually.
● Assist with designing and delivering educational and outreach projects and
● Dedicate yourself to building relationships, forging partnerships and becoming
the face of the organization.
● Work with the staff and Board to plan the festival, including dates and venues.
● Foster and maintain a positive environment in which artists can work and enjoy
their experience with the Cincinnati Chamber Orchestra.
● Submit initial annual program proposal to the Board Executive Committee and
CCO staff to include dates and general plans. Submit comprehensive summer
artist and program proposal to the Executive Committee and CCO staff
● Work with operations staff to contract guest artists.
● Ensure accurate communications with the Board President, the general
manager and the personnel manager regarding program, musician and
orchestra matters, including all musician contracting, scheduling and
programming for all performances.
● Develop and adhere to annual budget regarding all artistic costs, working with
the Board Finance Committee and general manager.
● Maintain open communication and interaction with artists, composers,
Orchestra staff and Board, and potential supporters throughout the year.
● Assure that the roles of the music director as outlined in the collective
bargaining agreement are adhered to.
● Participate in ongoing long-range planning activities with the staff and Board.
Residency Requirement: The music director must be in Cincinnati at least two weeks
in advance of the first rehearsal during the Orchestra’s season. On occasion,
additional trips may be necessary or useful at times and for durations that are
mutually agreed upon for planning with the Board and staff (e.g., Board meetings,
executive committee meetings, strategic planning sessions, special events, etc.). The
music director must be available to conduct a minimum of three of the four chamber
orchestra festival performances. The music director must be present in-person for at
least three of our bi-monthly Board meetings, outside of the season, in order to,
among other things, present the season program proposal. The music director is also
required to be available for Board meetings via conference call.
Supervisory: The music director leads musicians and works with supporting staff.
Reports to: The Board President.
Salary for this Part-Time Position: Salary commensurate with experience.
● NO phone inquiries.
● Submit applications via email or US mail.
● Applications are to include: cover letter, resume, sample programs (up to
three) and YouTube links.
● NO DVDs.
● No references.
● No employment agencies.
To Apply: The CCO will be accepting applicants until 5pm on February 2, 2015.
Materials should be emailed to email@example.com subject line MUSIC DIRECTOR
SEARCH or mailed via US mail to Music Director Search Committee, Cincinnati
Chamber Orchestra, 4046 Hamilton Avenue, Suite 200, Cincinnati, OH 45223.
Candidates for further consideration will be contacted about next steps.
About this entry
You’re currently reading “Music Director Cincinnati Chamber Orchestra | Cincinnati, OH,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- January 9, 2015 / 1:44 am