Philharmonia Conductor Metropolitan Youth Symphony Orchestras of Atlanta
POSITION TITLE: Philharmonia Conductor
Metropolitan Youth Symphony Orchestras of Atlanta:
MYSO nurtures, trains and develops a culturally diverse group of students, age
8 and up, from over 10 Metro Atlanta counties. MYSO offers concerts, tours,
chamber music and master classes that create opportunities for youth at all
levels of musical experience to develop socially and artistically while participating
in one of Atlanta’s foremost instrumental training and education programs.
The Philharmonia Conductor for the Metropolitan Youth Symphony Orchestras
of Atlanta provides artistic leadership for the Philharmonia Orchestra, a full
orchestra consisting of advanced middle and high school aged students. He/
she oversees the training and artistic development of the Philharmonia students
in preparation of rehearsals and performances and will select repertoire for
and conduct the Philharmonia Orchestra. He/she assists with sectionals and
auditions as needed.
The Philharmonia Conductor reports to and works with the Music Director and
the Executive Director. He/she is responsible for assisting with recruitment and
maintaining a close liaison with school and private artistic instructors.
The Philharmonia Conductor carries out all required duties in a manner
consistent with the policies, procedures, goals and objectives established by the
Board of Directors.
Bachelor’s degree in music; significant conducting experience
• Meet annually with all artistic staff to evaluate and review the performance
and progress of the Philharmonia Orchestra.
• Participate as needed in artistic staff meetings to confer with other artistic
staff on issues pertaining to: student development, repertoire, auditions,
artistic requirements and excerpts for auditions and other issues impacting
the MYSO orchestras and ensembles.
• Select repertoire for the Philharmonia Orchestra and submit for approval
to the Music Director.
• Assist with the recruitment of students by direct solicitation, distribution of
recruitment materials, workshops, and by fostering positive relationships
with schoolteachers and private music teachers.
• Assist in efforts to bring a broader audience to MYSO concerts, present a
consistent, polished message about MYSO.
• Audition players for all orchestras and ensembles as needed.
• Conduct all Philharmonia rehearsals and performances as required.
Concerts include: 3 yearly concerts, Fall, Gala and Spring. Any additional
concerts, including international tours that are scheduled every other
year, will be scheduled and organized in consultation with the Board of
Directors, the Executive Director and the Music Director.
• In consultation with Music Director, audition and confirm arrangements
with guest artists.
• Develop Philharmonia musician capabilities through the selection of
repertoire, sectional coaching and interaction with professional musicians
and other innovative programming as appropriate for the Philharmonia
• Work with the Music Director to determine and meet deadlines for
programming and scheduling of rehearsals and sectionals.
• Work with the librarian to prepare all string parts including bowings and
fingerings; prepare parts with measure numbers and phrase markings for
woodwinds, brass and percussion.
• Participate as needed in annual auditions evaluating the skills and
techniques of MYSO applicants.
• Facilitate communication and relationships with and between the
Philharmonia musicians to ensure positive working environment; working
with the Music Director, resolve disciplinary issues as needed.
• At all times while working on behalf of MYSO, the Philharmonia Conductor
will behave in a professional, respectful and appropriate manner In
keeping with MYSO Guidelines and Policies.
Please send the following materials to: email@example.com
• Letter of Intent
• Biography of 500 words or less in pdf format
• Links to Video Samples on YouTube, Vimeo or Personal Websites.
DEADLINE: March 6, 2015
No Calls Please.
For more information visit: http://www.mysoatlanta.com
About this entry
You’re currently reading “Philharmonia Conductor Metropolitan Youth Symphony Orchestras of Atlanta,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- January 27, 2015 / 2:46 pm