Part-Time Music Director Symphonicity (aka Symphony Orchestra of Va. Beach)
Part-Time Music Director
Symphonicity (aka Symphony Orchestra of Va. Beach)
Date Posted: Feb. 9, 2015
Deadline: April 10, 2015 (apply early)
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Duties: The Music Director provides overall musical leadership to the orchestra, ensuring that it fulfills its artistic potential. S/he is responsible for the development of repertoire, programming, and artistic production, within limits of the orchestra’s budget. S/he is expected to identify prospective guest artists and choirs as needed to utilize the orchestra’s full potential.
As the artistic leader, the Music Director is responsible for the orchestra’s image in the community. S/he is expected to sustain and build the orchestra’s visibility and community involvement. S/he will be an active part of the community, tasked with developing relationships with music educators, area civic groups, and collaborative organizations (i.e. choruses, ballet, opera). The Music Director shall actively participate in the orchestra’s fundraising activities.
The Music Director reports to the Symphonicity Board of Directors and is expected to work closely with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, volunteer musicians, and staff in carrying out these responsibilities. The Music Director will supervise and work closely with staff members, including Concertmaster, Librarian, and Personnel Managers. The Music Director is responsible for the overall positive morale of the volunteer orchestra members and their continued musical growth, as well as for recruiting and auditioning new players as required.
Salary: $30,000. Negotiable based upon experience.
Minimum qualifications: Either a Bachelor degree, preferably a Masters degree, in music/conducting with orchestral emphasis, or significant equivalent experience.
To Apply: Please submit an application packet containing the following items:
- Résumé/Curriculum vitae
- A one to two paragraph statement describing why you are interested in the Music Director position with Symphonicity.
- A list of classical and pops repertoire conducted in performance. Please include a statement about your repertoire experience, your musical and artistic interests, and what you would like to accomplish with the orchestra in the future. Representative CD/DVD recordings (or links) of your conducting, although not specifically required, are encouraged.
- If you do not live in the Virginia Beach area, would you plan to relocate? If not, please describe how do you would plan to balance the job of Symphonicity Music Director with your other commitments.
- At least 3 professional references.
Please email application packet by April 10, 2015 to Sue Grube:firstname.lastname@example.org
About this entry
You’re currently reading “Part-Time Music Director Symphonicity (aka Symphony Orchestra of Va. Beach),” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- February 9, 2015 / 3:10 pm