SINGAPORE SYMPHONY CHORUS – CHORAL DIRECTOR DESIGNATE
Formed in 1980, Singapore Symphony Chorus (SSC) has performed with the Singapore Symphony Orchestra (SSO) for over 30 years. Under the leadership of Choral Director Lim Yau, SSC has established itself as one of the finest choirs in the region and one of the few symphony choruses in Southeast Asia.
Following a year-long review of the entire choral programme, Maestro Lim Yau will lead the development of the chorus to its next level of excellence. At the same time, Singapore Symphonia Company Limited (SSCL) will embark on a search for a Choral Director Designate whom Maestro Lim will mentor as a successor.
During the period of mentorship, the Choral Director Designate will work with the Choral Director and SSCL administration in all aspects of directing the choir including auditions, training, preparation, and where required, programme planning and performance direction.
Befitting SSO’s international standing, the Choral Director Designate will work with the Choral Director in providing inspirational leadership to the high-quality amateur choral singers who form SSC.
Upon designation as Choral Director, the post holder will be responsible to SSO Music Director Lan Shui for artistic performance of SSC and, working alongside members of the SSCL administration, is responsible to CEO, SSCL for leading the effective planning and delivery of SSC’s rehearsal and performance schedule. The Choral Director Designate will share and promote the aim of the SSCL board for SSC to be recognised as a leading choir in the region
- – Proven ability as a choral conductor and trainer with significant experience in preparing symphonic choral works to international performance standards
– Excellent knowledge of Western symphonic and south-east Asian choral repertoire
– Commitment and passion for the continued growth of SSC both in its performances with SSO and in developing a complementary stand-alone programme
– Preferably a music degree including specialisation in choral conducting
– We welcome applicants who partially fulfil the above requirements. We are open to appointing candidates with less experience as Assistant or Associate Conductors to work with Maestro Lim for a period of time.
Commitment / Remuneration
SSC rehearse on Monday evenings at Victoria Concert Hall. The Choral Director Designate is required at all SSC sessions, including additional rehearsals scheduled in advance of performances.
Remuneration for this position will be based on a monthly retainer and a per session fee for conducting / attending rehearsals. The monthly retainer is to cover all non-rehearsal time with the choir, including but not limited to individual preparation, planning meetings, and auditions.
- – Applicants should send their application to the HR Department, Singapore Symphonia Company Limited, 11 Empress Place #01-02, Victoria Concert Hall, Singapore, 179558. Applications can also be submitted electronically email@example.com
- – Applications must include a cover letter and full CV, detailing relevant experience.
- – Additional supporting material such as an audio-visual recording of a relevant recent choral rehearsal / performance is required.
- – The closing date for applications is midday, Friday 21st August 2015.
- – Candidates will be informed if their application is being taken forward by Friday 4th September 2015.
- – Shortlisted candidates will rehearse the Singapore Symphony Chorus on Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th September 2015, followed by a panel interview.
- – The successful candidate will be expected to start in position in early 2016.
If you have would like to speak to someone about this position prior to applying please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact details.
1. SNYO EXECUTIVE
The Singapore Symphonia Company Limited manages the Singapore National Youth Orchestra (SNYO).
Through the playing of orchestral classical music, the SNYO’s mission is to nurture future generations of musicians and build a vibrant music community for Singapore.
The Executive has responsibilities in orchestra operations, membership matters, and administrative matters pertaining to the SNYO. As a member in a small team, the executive can expect to work across different functional areas of orchestra management, operations, marketing, community engagement, etc.
The Executive reports to the SNYO Deputy General Manager.
– Plan and administer all rehearsal/concert production activities including staging/technical requirements, and other logistical arrangements.
– Coordinate other SNYO member activities such as auditions, camp, tour, or community engagement concerts.
– Develop and write policies and procedures for operational processes.
– Maintain members’ records including attendance and submission of CCA information to MOE.
Provide administrative support to the SNYO Deputy General Manager.
– Minimum diploma holders with 3 years’ working experience.
– Exceptional organizational skills, good initiative and the ability to work under pressure.
– Resilient and energetic individual with excellent interpersonal skills, able to work independently as well as in a team.
– Demonstrated passion for working with youths.
– Ability to work flexible hours.
– Excellent computer skills.
– Excellent written and spoken English.
– A strong knowledge of classical music preferred.
For administrative position applications, please provide a comprehensive resume with a photo and cover letter also stating current and expected salaries to email@example.com.
This is a local position. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
The closing date for application submissions is 2 Aug 2015.
About this entry
You’re currently reading “SINGAPORE SYMPHONY CHORUS – CHORAL DIRECTOR DESIGNATE,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- July 27, 2015 / 7:20 pm