The Vancouver Symphony Orchestra (VSO) is inviting applications for the appointment of Assistant Conductor
The Vancouver Symphony Orchestra (VSO) is inviting applications for the appointment of Assistant Conductor. We are pleased to be able to provide a major opportunity for a young Canadian conductor to work on a daily basis with a leading professional symphony orchestra. The Vancouver Symphony Orchestra consists of 67 full-time musicians and currently performs a 41-week season.
The Assistant Conductor will:
– work closely under the direction of the VSO’s Music Director, Maestro Bramwell Tovey
– work with the VSO conducting staff including Conductor Laureate Kazuyoshi Akiyama, as well as the artistic staff and musicians of the VSO
– have access to the many guest conductors and soloists who perform with the VSO throughout the season
– be assigned to conduct specific rehearsals and concerts, and will cover other VSO rehearsals and concerts
– have the opportunity to be involved in programme planning, artistic operations, education, marketing and development activities
– be an ambassador of the VSO in the community
– All applicants for the position of Assistant Conductor with the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra must be Canadian citizens or Landed Immigrants.
– The VSO Assistant Conductor will be expected to reside in Vancouver during the term of the appointment.
– Candidates should have an advanced musical degree or equivalent. An exceptional level of aural skill expected.
– Excellent communication skills and the ability to speak about the music with audiences.
– Advanced knowledge of orchestral repertoire, with a working knowledge of Canadian and international contemporary orchestral repertoire essential.
Applications should include:
– Letter of interest (maximum one page).
– Full curriculum vitae (maximum five pages) detailing educational background and professional experience as an instrumentalist and conductor.
– DVD of applicant conducting, including rehearsal, if available. Include two contrasting video clips, maximum 20 minutes in total.
– Repertoire list.
– Three letters of recommendation.
– Auditions will take place November 17 and 18, 2015, in Vancouver.
– Candidates selected to audition will be given the repertoire list and audition schedule.
– The audition will include a general musicianship exam; interview with search committee; and rehearsal on stage with the VSO, which will include one 20th Century work, the score of which will be presented on arrival.
Term of contract:
September 17, 2016 to September 16, 2018 (2-year term)
The search committee, chaired by VSO Music Director Bramwell Tovey, will receive all applications for the position in confidence.
Applications Deadline: Thursday, October 15, 2015 at 5:00 pm
Please send your materials to:
Vice-President Artistic Operations & Education
Vancouver Symphony Orchestra
Assistant Conductor Search
500 – 833 Seymour Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 0G4
About this entry
You’re currently reading “The Vancouver Symphony Orchestra (VSO) is inviting applications for the appointment of Assistant Conductor,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- September 29, 2015 / 9:06 am