The Fayetteville Symphony Orchestra seeks a Music Director and Conductor to begin with the 2017-2018 season
MUSIC DIRECTOR SEARCH
The Fayetteville Symphony Orchestra seeks a Music Director and Conductor to begin with the 2017-2018 season. Application deadline is December 1st, 2015. Please read the full job description below for more information. No phone calls or faxes please.
Job Title: Music Director and Conductor
Orchestra: Fayetteville Symphony Orchestra
Job summary: The Music Director is responsible for the artistic vision, quality and development of the orchestra with duties and responsibilities in artistic, administrative, and community areas. The Music Director exercises authority in artistic matters according to the guidelines established by the Board and mutually agreed upon at the time of his or her engagement. The position will begin with the 2017-2018 season with the possibility of a conducting audition during the 2016-2017 season.
Subject to revision or change, duties may include but are not limited to:
- Demonstrate artistic excellence as a musician and a conductor
- Possess the administrative/organizational skills required of an artistic leader
- Demonstrate the ability to develop imaginative programming ideas that have significance to the orchestra, the community, and the occasion
- As part of the management team, work collaboratively with the President/CEO, Orchestra Personnel Manager, Librarian, and Board of Directors
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in writing and through public speaking
- Conduct 6-8 concerts per season including a series of five subscription concerts, one Memorial weekend outdoor concert, and one education concert series. Other special performances shall be specified in the contract.
- Work with President/CEO, Board of Directors, and Artistic Committee to develop and plan each season within the limits set by the orchestra’s budget
- Work with the organization to develop and articulate an artistic plan that is based upon the needs of the community and the orchestra
- Work with the President/CEO and the Artistic Committee to select guests artists
- Partner with other musical, arts, and philanthropic organizations to advocate for the arts and to develop innovative programming
- Support the activities of the Fayetteville Symphony Youth Orchestra and its conductor
- Maintain frequent and regular communication with the President/CEO as required for effective execution of responsibilities
- Adhere to the artistic planning schedule outlined in the Music Director contract
- Work collaboratively with the FSO staff and assist with season marketing plans
- Participate in radio and newspaper interviews and other appearances
- Work with the Board of Directors in developing strategic plans and goals for FSO
- Attend Board and Committee meetings as outlined in the Music Director contract
- Maintain memberships in the League of American Orchestras and the Conductors Guild in order to advise the Board of matters that may be helpful to promote the orchestra’s objectives
- Assist in the promotion of the orchestra by being available for public appearances, fundraising activities, and community events as requested by the FSO
- Work to further the orchestra’s role as a vital resource to patrons, donors, and the community at large
Orchestra Description: The Fayetteville Symphony Orchestra was founded in 1956 in Fayetteville, North Carolina, and is a professional, regional orchestra whose mission is to educate, entertain, and inspire the citizens of the Fayetteville, North Carolina region as the leading musical resource. Praised for its artistic excellence, the Symphony leads in the cultural and educational landscape for Fayetteville and the southeastern North Carolina region. The FSO endowment campaign is underway and has approximately $1,000,000 in named funds.
The Fayetteville Symphony performs 6-8 concerts during any given season performing both at Methodist University and Fayetteville State University. Partnerships with other arts agencies include collaborative performances with Cape Fear Regional Theatre, chamber concerts at Cape Fear Botanical Garden and St. John’s Episcopal Church, as well as a military appreciation concert held over Memorial Day Weekend in collaboration with The Army Ground Forces Band of Ft. Bragg. The Symphony performs educational concerts, offers a Fayetteville Symphony Youth Orchestra, and provides Summer Music Camps.
Salary: The Fayetteville Symphony Orchestra compensation is competitive for group 6 orchestras according to the compensation study published by the League of American Orchestras
Open date: October 1, 2015 Close date: December 1, 2015
Application Procedure: Interested candidates are invited to submit a letter of interest and a current one to two page resume in a combined PDF file email@example.com
No calls or faxes, please.
About this entry
You’re currently reading “The Fayetteville Symphony Orchestra seeks a Music Director and Conductor to begin with the 2017-2018 season,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- October 1, 2015 / 9:13 am