The Corpus Christi Symphony Orchestra, an established regional orchestra based in Corpus Christi, Texas, welcomes nominations and applications for the position of Music Director and Conductor.
The CCSO presents an annual concert season featuring world-renowned guest artists sharing the stage with the finest orchestra musicians in the region. Led by a community Board of Directors composed of 32 civic leaders committed to the financial stability and artistic excellence of the Symphony, the CCSO features 75 regular members of the orchestra, performing in an annual, six-concert regular subscription series. Additionally, special concerts such as the annual “Pops in the Park” performance and the Educational Concert Series for area school students are featured. With an annual budget of just over $1 million, the CCSO performs in the beautiful, acoustically-superior Performing Arts Center located on the campus of Texas A&M University – Corpus Christi. The CCSO also sponsors the Corpus Christi Area Youth Orchestra, which is led by its own resident conductor.
Corpus Christi, Texas is the largest city within a metropolitan statistical area with a population of over 413,000. Culturally and ethnically diverse, and situated along beautiful Corpus Christi Bay and North Padre Island, the regional economy is driven by a strong petrochemical industry served by the nation’s fifth largest port in terms of tonnage. Naval Air Station Corpus Christi, tourism, agriculture, and healthcare industries round out one of the fastest growing economies in the state, supported by two outstanding four-year universities boasting esteemed graduate / doctoral level programs (Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi and Texas A&M University-Kingsville), along with Del Mar College and Coastal Bend Community College. Our warm climate is matched by the warm hospitality and casual lifestyle long-identified with South Texans. Abundant recreational activities are available and suited to our family-friendly, coastal location.
Position is conditional on available funding.
The Music Director and Conductor of the CCSO is directly accountable to the Board of Directors for ensuring excellence in the quality of the music program for the orchestra, working through the Executive Director for routine administrative functions. In collaboration with the Executive Director, the Music Director and Conductor is responsible for developing and executing outstanding, compelling, and entertaining musical programming, leading rehearsals in a professional manner, and conducting concerts for the regular subscription season, as well as special concerts, all within the policies and budget established by the CCSO Board of Directors.
Among many desired qualities and characteristics, the successful applicant for the position of Music Director and Conductor will be able to:
• Demonstrate, above all, prior successful experience and future commitment to excellence in musicianship, conducting, and overall orchestral leadership;
• Demonstrate a deep and broad knowledge of, and experience with, a range of repertoire that spans musical styles and periods, and an interest and willingness to use that knowledge and experience to expose the CCSO audience to such a repertoire;
• Demonstrate a willingness and ability to spend the time necessary in the Corpus Christi community and surrounding area to become established and well-known as the musical leader and “face” of the CCSO;
• Demonstrate prior successful experience and future commitment to developing an audience in a diverse community, and building enthusiasm and support for a regional symphony orchestra;
• Maximize relationships with musicians of the highest caliber to support the engagement of outstanding guest artists to enhance the CCSO concert series; and
• Demonstrate the ability to build a strong, engaging and positive rapport with the CCSO audience to enhance the concert experience
Deadline for submission of all materials is Friday, November 13, 2015.
Interested, qualified applicants should submit
• a letter of interest;
• a resumé or curriculum vitae detailing the applicant’s musical leadership experience and educational background;
• samples of programs conducted by the candidate;
• media artifacts, if available, including articles, clippings, or broadcast news coverage (Internet links to these are acceptable);
• a minimum of three professional references, including name, address, telephone number, and email; and
• any additional video or audio recordings exhibiting the applicant’s conducting and musical leadership experience, either via Internet link or DVD media.
Please submit all materials, and direct any written inquiries, to:
Mr. Robert Reed, Executive Director
Corpus Christi Symphony Orchestra
555 N. Carancahua, Tower II, Suite 410
Corpus Christi, TX 78401
About this entry
You’re currently reading “The Corpus Christi Symphony Orchestra, an established regional orchestra based in Corpus Christi, Texas, welcomes nominations and applications for the position of Music Director and Conductor.,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- October 5, 2015 / 10:26 am