Assistant Professor, Director of Orchestral Activities Gettysburg College, Sunderman Conservatory of Music
Assistant Professor, Director of Orchestral Activities
Gettysburg College, Sunderman Conservatory of Music
Date Posted: November 2, 2015
Application Deadline: November 15, 2015
Location: Gettysburg, PA
Job Summary: Conduct the Gettysburg College Symphony Orchestra and administer all its related activities, beginning August 2016; teach in one or more related areas of expertise such as applied strings, conducting, music education, and music theory or history, based on the candidate’s qualifications and program need.
Faculty at Gettysburg teach a 5-course load, two of which are orchestra. Additional responsibilities include maintaining a creative and scholarly profile, and engaging all activities associated with a tenure-track music position: student advising; admissions-related responsibilities, including recruiting and developing relationships with music educators; participating in shared governance and other forms of institutional and community service.
- Gettysburg College seeks a creative and dynamic conductor and educator to lead the student orchestra, a cornerstone of the music program, and therefore demonstrated excellence in orchestral conducting and teaching coupled with the ability to develop artistic and technical achievement through ensemble instruction are essential components of the position.
- Candidates should embrace the notion of the undergraduate orchestra as classroom, laboratory, and performance ensemble for music majors, minors, and non-majors in a liberal arts environment and demonstrate exceptional leadership and musicianship along with successful experience in student recruiting.
- Appropriate terminal degree or equivalent experience is required.
- A record of successful teaching experience at the collegiate level is preferred.
- Candidates should show a record of accomplishment as an orchestral conductor of one or more of the following: professional, collegiate, high school, or youth orchestras.
- Successful candidates must demonstrate an understanding and strong support of the ideals and goals of a broad liberal arts education.
To Apply: Please submit a letter of application, statement of teaching philosophy, curriculum vitae, representative list of conducted repertoire, and current email addresses for three professional references. Candidates must submit at least one link to a video recording showing the candidate from the ensemble’s view (preferably of both rehearsal and performance). Audio recordings are welcomed in addition to video recordings. Up to four links to recordings may be submitted in total. Professional references will be contacted by Gettysburg College to submit letters of recommendation electronically for candidates invited to phone interviews. Inquiries should be addressed to Professors Russell McCutcheon, email@example.com, or Avner Dorman, firstname.lastname@example.org, Co-Chairs, Director of Orchestral Activities Search Committee.
Consideration of candidates will begin Nov. 15, 2015 and continue until the position is filled.
About this entry
You’re currently reading “Assistant Professor, Director of Orchestral Activities Gettysburg College, Sunderman Conservatory of Music,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- November 3, 2015 / 10:09 am