CHARLOTTE SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA POSITION DESCRIPTION TITLE: Assistant Conductor
CHARLOTTE SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA
TITLE: Assistant Conductor
REPORTS TO: Music Director
DEPARTMENT: Conducting Staff
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
DATE: September 2016
The Assistant Conductor is responsible for rehearsing and conducting educational, outreach and community concerts, rehearsing and conducting other performances as assigned, serving as cover conductor for rehearsals and concerts as determined by the Music Director, and other duties as assigned.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Working in conjunction with the Music Director, Executive Director, Director of Artistic Planning and other key staff, the Assistant Conductor will plan and conduct educational concerts, community concerts and other special concerts as assigned to include but not be limited to Lollipops Family concerts, private concerts, CSO On Campus concerts, and runouts.
2. Serve as cover conductor for rehearsals and concerts and other programs as assigned. This includes personal preparation of all scores and providing written and verbal feedback on artistic matters relating to repertory (balance, intonation, dynamics, ensemble issues, etc.). May be asked to conduct off stage ensembles or serve as score reader for supertitles or other production needs.
3. If so directed, to assist the technical staff in the post-production editing of Charlotte Symphony Orchestra performance recordings for archival or broadcast use.
4. Participate as directed in planning meetings, media events, fund-raising activities, speaking engagements, educational and outreach opportunities, development meetings and activities, administrative meetings and other activities as determined and identified by management.
5. Perform other duties and functions as assigned by the Music Director.
1. Meaningful orchestral conducting experience and broad knowledge of orchestral repertoire and concert programming.
2. Master’s degree (or equivalent) in orchestral/instrumental conducting strongly preferred.
3. Fluent in English and able to communicate effectively to musicians, staff and a wide range of audience members. A deep appreciation for, understanding of and sensitivity to the needs of professional musicians.
4. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. The responsibility and cost of obtaining such authorization is solely that of the candidate
APPLICATION PROCEDURE (Only electronic applications will be accepted)
1. Individuals should submit a cover letter, current résumé, three letters of recommendation and contact information for three professional references. Candidates are also required to submit a current video work sample. Video should be a close front-view perspective of either a rehearsal or performance with a full symphonic or large chamber orchestra ensemble. ALL MATERIALS MUST BE SUBMITTED ELECTRONICALLY THROUGH A SERVICE SUCH AS DROPBOX OR HIGHTAIL. Please do not email attachments.
2. All applications must be received by January 22, 2016. Applications should be sent firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Candidates must be available to audition in person on April 26, 2016.
About this entry
You’re currently reading “CHARLOTTE SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA POSITION DESCRIPTION TITLE: Assistant Conductor,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- December 21, 2015 / 2:41 pm