ALEXANDRIA SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA Music Director and Conductor – Position Description
ALEXANDRIA SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA
Music Director and Conductor – Position Description
The Alexandria Symphony Orchestra announces that applications and nominations are currently being accepted for the position of Music Director. The person selected will assume responsibilities for the position beginning with the 2018-2019 Season, the organization’s 75th Anniversary Season.
The Music Director reports directly to the ASO Board of Trustees and is responsible for the fulfillment of the orchestra’s artistic programs, potential image, and impact in the community. S/he is responsible for the repertoire, programming and artistic production, and has ultimate authority for the selection, development, and (if necessary) replacement of musicians. As the orchestra’s artistic leader, s/he must sustain and build the orchestra’s performance quality and successful integration into the community. The Music Director, as a community arts leader and advocate, will actively contribute to the orchestra’s regional outreach, educational and fundraising activities. In addition, the Music Director is expected to work closely and effectively with the ASO Executive Director, Board of Trustees, staff and related ASO organizations in carrying out these responsibilities.
The ideal candidate will possess:
• Exceptional musicianship and conducting skills; significant conducting experience, including extensive work with professional musicians; knowledge of a broad range of repertoire, symphonic as well as the full canon of music
• Vision, passion, and ability to develop music strategies for the ASO and produce the highest quality of music
• Strong interpersonal, leadership, administrative and communications skills
• Ability to cultivate existing and new audiences and patrons, providing the region with cultural and performing arts experience second to none
• Experience with outreach, audience development and fundraising
Previous or current music directorship or comparable experience preferred.
Application must include: (1) personal letter of interest from the candidate, (2) resume, (3) sample programs conducted by the candidate, (4) names and phone numbers of at least three professional references, and (5) conducting video samples. Submission of conducting samples via video sharing websites (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) is strongly preferred. If video sharing is not possible, DVD recordings may be submitted (notice must be given in a candidate’s application if using this method). In addition, each candidate is asked to submit a separate cogent and concise written statement with professional/personal examples that demonstrate the candidate’s proven capabilities and/or potential in the areas of community engagement, artistic leadership, fundraising, and engagement and development of subscribers and patrons.
The ASO Music Director Search Committee will make recommendations on finalists to the Board of Trustees in the early 2017. Finalists approved by the Board will be asked to guest conduct and meet our community during the 2017-2018 Season (September 2017 to May 2018). A new Music Director will be named after the 2017-18 Season and will conduct the opening concert of our 75th Anniversary Season in 2018-2019.
The Alexandria Symphony Orchestra is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit your application package by Monday, August 1, 2016. No phone inquiries, please.
For e-mail submissions, our address is email@example.com. E-mail submissions are strongly preferred.
• For documents, submit pdf attachments only.
• For conducting video samples, links to uploaded video on YouTube, Vimeo or other video sharing sites are strongly preferred. If this cannot be completed, please include notice in the application that you will be submitting a DVD of video samples.
For mail submissions, our address is:
Alexandria Symphony Orchestra
Attn: Music Director Search
2121 Eisenhower Avenue, Suite 608
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
To learn more about the Alexandria Symphony Orchestra, visit our website atwww.alexsym.org.
For a full Music Director Profile and extensive application information, please visit www.alexsym.org/about/mdsearch.
About this entry
You’re currently reading “ALEXANDRIA SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA Music Director and Conductor – Position Description,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- April 8, 2016 / 12:41 am