AUDITIONS FOR THE ASSISTANT CONDUCTOR OF THE POLISH NATIONAL RADIO SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA SEATED IN KATOWICE (PNRSO)
The Assistant Conductor program led by the Artistic Director and Chief Conductor of the PNRSO, Alexander Liebreich, provides a unique opportunity for promising young international conductors (below the age of 32) to develop their craft and enrich their musical experience through personal mentorship and participation in the PNRSO’s orchestral, education and community programs.
The PNRSO is a leading Polish orchestra and an ambassador of Polish culture on the international artistic scene. The Orchestra has collaborated with some of the greatest composers of the second half of the 20th century (such as Witold Lutosławski, Henryk Mikołaj Górecki, and Krzysztof Penderecki), frequently giving world premiere performances of their works. Many renowned conductors have performed with the PNRSO, including Leonard Bernstein, Kirill Kondrashin, Sir Neville Marriner, and Antoni Wit, amongst many others. Apart from making archival recordings for the Polish Radio, the Orchestra has recorded more than 200 CD albums for many major international record companies (including Decca, EMI, Philips, Chandos, and Naxos). The PNRSO has also been honoured with numerous awards for its phonographic achievements, including Diapason d’Orand Grand Prix du Disque de la Nouvelle Académie du Disque, the Cannes Classical Awardand the Midem Classical Award.
The purpose of the auditions is to select the best candidate for cooperation with Music Director Alexander Liebreich for the duration of the 2016/2017 artistic season (with a possible extension for the following season, to be decided in March 2017). The assistant conductor will be offered the ability to work with and conduct the orchestra in at least three concerts. Furthermore, the assistant conductor will be participating in all the artistic projects undertaken by the orchestra (including concerts, recordings and community programs). It is therefore required that the assistant conductor be available and fully involved in the institution’s activities (i.e. participating in rehearsals, concerts, recording sessions, conducting sectionals and tutti rehearsals, as well as working with the choir and soloists) and ready to take sudden substitutions. This commitment will be made on the basis of an employment agreement. The assistant conductor will receive a monthly fee enough to cover life expenses plus three extra paid concerts.
– The auditions are scheduled in Katowice, Poland, from the 29th to the 31st of August 2016
– The auditions will comprise three stages. The first stage will involve the accompaniment of two pianos, while stages II and III will involve the orchestra.
– A maximum of 12 candidates will be selected for the auditions and shortlisted on the basis of their CVs and covering letters.
W. A. Mozart – Prague Symphony mov. I
L. van Beethoven –Symphony No. 1, mov. IV
L. van Beethoven –Symphony No. 7, mov. I
J. Brahms –Symphony No. 1, mov. IV
F. Mendelssohn –‘Midsummer Night’s Dream’ Overture
K. Szymanowski – Concert Overture op. 12
I. Stravinsky – Rite of Spring, Sacrificial Dance
B. Bartok –Concerto for Orchestra, mov. V
W. Lutosławski –Concerto for Orchestra, mov. II
Stage I – 29.08
The candidates will present their conductorship skills accompanied by two pianos. The first piece to be conducted will be chosen by the candidate from group A or B, while the remaining two will be selected by the jury from among all the three groups (A, B, C). Duration: about 30 minutes. Between 6 and 8 candidates will be chosen to advance to Stage II.
Stage II – 30.08
Each candidate will need to exhibit their conductorship skills, as well as the ability to rehearse with the orchestra. The pieces will be chosen by the jury. Duration: about 30 minutes. No more than 3 candidates will qualify for Stage III.
Stage III – 31.08
Each candidate will be given about 45 minutes to prepare and conduct two pieces selected by the jury after Stage II. The jury will announce the winner upon the completion of Stage III.
– Curriculum vitae and covering letter in Polish, German or English must be sent to email@example.com or via post to : NOSPR Plac Wojciecha Kilara 1, 40-202 Katowice, Poland. Audio and video materials may be sent at the applicants’ discretion.
– The submission deadline is 20.07.2016
– Selected applicants will be informed via email regarding whether they are invited to participate by the end of July
– Please note that PNRSO will not cover any travel or accommodation expenses for Stage I. Participants who qualify for the second stage may have their accommodation expenses covered,
with the PNRSO reserving the right to select the hotel.
– For more information regarding the audition and the position in question, please call +48 506 999 226
The PNRSO reserves the right to change the audition schedule.
About this entry
You’re currently reading “AUDITIONS FOR THE ASSISTANT CONDUCTOR OF THE POLISH NATIONAL RADIO SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA SEATED IN KATOWICE (PNRSO),” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- April 25, 2016 / 8:20 pm