Part-Time Music Director The Montclair Orchestra
Date Posted: Aug. 24, 2016
Application Deadline: Sept. 22, 2016
Interview Dates: Oct. 3-7, 2016
Location: Montclair, NJ (NYC Metro)
The Montclair Orchestra seeks a Music Director to serve as principal conductor, artistic leader, and a public face of the organization, beginning with the inaugural 2017/18 season.
The Organization: The Montclair Orchestra is a new semi-professional orchestra based in Montclair, NJ, just outside of New York City, established to provide orchestral music to Montclair, New Jersey and the surrounding communities. Montclair is a cultural and artistic haven in New Jersey, and home to numerous cultural institutions, including the Montclair Art Museum, the Montclair Film Festival, the Wellmont Theater, the Essex County Players, Opera Theatre of Montclair, as well as numerous performances by acclaimed artists throughout the year.
The first Montclair Orchestra was established in 1922, through a collaboration with St Luke’s Episcopal Church in Montclair, and offering its first performance at the Montclair Art Museum. After a successful start, the organization moved to Newark, and eventually became the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra, now the largest orchestra in New Jersey.
The Montclair Orchestra aims to perform a diverse range of high level orchestral music at venues throughout Montclair, utilizing a core set of musicians including highly trained amateur and professionals, as well as incorporating select students from local conservatories and music schools. The resulting ensemble will perform high level, challenging musical programs, while furthering opportunities for aspiring musicians at the region’s music schools.
The Position: The Music Director provides leadership, creative vision, and artistic direction to The Montclair Orchestra. The inaugural 2017-2018 is expected to hold five concerts throughout the year, with four rehearsals preceding each concert.
- Working with the Board and the President, the Music Director ensures that the Orchestra fulfills its mission and achieves its goals for artistic excellence, education, and community engagement.
- S/he attracts, evaluates and inspires high caliber orchestral players; develops programs, conducts, and helps build audiences for innovative and diverse orchestral repertoire; and enhances the stature and reputation of the Orchestra.
- S/he works with the President and others to build relationships with other local establishments including music schools and cultural institutes, and to help develop joint programs to mutually benefit all groups.
- S/he works to make the Montclair Orchestra a regional leader in orchestral music performance in the Northern NJ/New York City metro region.
- The Music Director cooperates and collaborates with the Board and President to maintain the financial health of the organization and to expand audience and philanthropic support for the Orchestra from all sources.
- The ideal candidate will combine a thorough knowledge of orchestral performance with significant experience leading orchestras in a broad range of repertoire and musical styles.
- Experience conducting a professional orchestra is required, and experience with conservatory level musicians is preferred.
- The successful candidate will have proven ability to plan a season; rehearse and conduct concerts of superior quality; inspire musicians to a consistently high level of performance; and build an enthusiastic audience for orchestral music.
- As an ambassador for the new organization, the Music Director has the ability to help shape the direction of the organization, and will be committed to expanding reach and impact of The Montclair Orchestra collaboration, education and outreach programs throughout the community.
- The Music Director will be expected to help build the Orchestra’s presence in the community, and assist with marketing and fund-raising operations leading up to the inaugural season.
The Music Director will ideally be located, or already have an otherwise established presence, in the New York City/Northern New Jersey region, and be able to dedicate significant time to collaborating closely with The Montclair Orchestra Board and management in areas such as planning, fundraising, and strengthening ties between the Orchestra and the communities and institutions supporting it and served by it.
Compensation: We have established a budget of $15,000 for the first year.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter describing interest and qualifications along with a resume and contact information for at least three professional references.
All applications will be treated as confidential, and references will not be contacted without the candidate’s prior knowledge and agreement.
Send materials to Andre Weker: email@example.com.
About this entry
You’re currently reading “Part-Time Music Director The Montclair Orchestra,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- August 28, 2016 / 8:24 am