Kalamazoo College Department of Music Assistant Professor and Music Director of the Kalamazoo Bach Festival
The Department of Music at Kalamazoo College, in conjunction with the Bach Festival Society of Kalamazoo, invites applications for a unique tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor rank, to begin in the fall of 2017. We seek a choral conductor who will divide time between teaching within the Department of Music (equivalent to 75% of the position) and assuming the Music Directorship of the Bach Festival and its flagship chorus (equivalent to the remaining 25% of the position). Candidates with doctoral degrees, or with master’s degrees and equivalent professional experience, will be considered. Salary is competitive and consistent with level of experience.
Within the Department of Music, the successful candidate would:
- Teach a small number of private voice lessons, preserving a legacy of successful student singers who have won prizes at regional NATS and other competitions;
- Lead a student choral ensemble in rehearsals and in at least one concert in each of three academic terms;
- Teach, once per year, a musical theater/opera scenes course, which could form the basis of a fully-staged musical collaboration with the Theater Department (that has historically taken place every other year);
- Teach one classroom course in a secondary content area (the Department is open to a range of subjects, but would be particularly interested in matters related to Western music history before 1750, music/vocal pedagogy, opera, or historically-informed performance practice);
- Pursue an active scholarly and/or creative agenda, advise students, and contribute substantively to faculty and departmental governance.
The Bach Festival Society seeks a Music Director who would:
- Provide artistic leadership for all the Festival’s activities and for their chorus of seasoned community and professional singers, including planning repertoire, organizing rehearsals, and selecting/managing the musical staff (including section leaders, accompanists, and guest soloists);
- Serve as the public face and voice of the organization in media and throughout the community, maintain active membership in national associations of choral singing, and work closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to stay within the annual budget and assist with development efforts as needed;
- Bring to the position a strong background in leading instrumental ensemble accompaniment, deep knowledge of both the choral masterworks of J.S. Bach as well as a diverse repertoire of music from all periods, and a desire to collaborate with other artistic organizations.
Kalamazoo College is a highly selective, nationally known liberal arts college offering an undergraduate experience that weaves a traditional liberal arts curriculum with educational experiences in both domestic and international settings. The Department of Music, among the most enrolled on campus, has four full-time faculty and an extended roster of adjunct teaching artists. Our students – whether casual musicians or working to complete a BA degree in Music – integrate both academic and applied approaches to music study. The campus, located in Kalamazoo, MI, lies midway between Chicago and Detroit, just 35 miles from the shores of Lake Michigan. Kalamazoo has a metropolitan community of 225,000 that supports several college and university campuses as well as numerous civic, arts, and cultural associations (among them the Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra, Fontana Chamber Arts, and the Gilmore Keyboard Festival). The Bach Festival Society was founded in 1946 by Henry Overley, Professor of Music at Kalamazoo College. It has maintained its historic ties with the College but has expanded into a separate and significant performing arts organization, presenting, among other events, a Young Artist Competition and Concert, a High School Choral Festival, a beloved traditional Christmas concert, and, as the culmination of a week-long festival of performances, a gala finale concert each season.
Applications received by November 14, 2016 will receive full consideration, with later applications reviewed as needed until the position is filled. Kalamazoo College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, encourages candidates who will contribute to the cultural diversity of the College to apply and to identify themselves if they wish.
Upload Your Application Materials
|Please save documents in PDF format before uploading. Please limit filenames to Latin characters. Please limit the size of each PDF to under 10Mb, and the total size for simultaneous uploads to under 20Mb. You may return to this form to upload files seperately; they will all end up together.|
|Letter of application that describes your artistic and teaching philosophies|
|Undergraduate Transcript||My transcript will be sent by a service|
|Graduate Transcripts||My transcript will be sent by a service|
Letters of Recommendation
Please have three confidential letters of recommendation sent in PDF format to MusicSearch@kzoo.edu, with a subject line lastname_firstname. (Please limit filenames to Latin characters.)
Completing Your File
You will receive an email confirmation when your file is complete. Thank you for your interest in Kalamazoo College.
|If you have questions about the search, contact:
Andrew Koehler, Professor and Search Chair
Department of Music
Kalamazoo, MI 49006
|If you have difficulty uploading your materials, please contact Kalamazoo College Web Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.|
About this entry
You’re currently reading “Kalamazoo College Department of Music Assistant Professor and Music Director of the Kalamazoo Bach Festival,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- September 2, 2016 / 2:12 pm