Oregon Bach Festival 2017
2017 Dates Announced This Autumn!
Since 1970, choral and orchestral conductors have attended this program to refine their craft and immerse themselves in the music of Bach and those inspired by his work. Designed for advanced graduate students and professional conductors, the OBF master class, led by Artistic DirectorMatthew Halls and program director Edward Maclary, gives ample hands on experience and podium time in rehearsals and public concerts. This year’s program culminated in performances of parts 4-6 of J.S. Bach’s Christmas Oratorio. Over 1,000 musicians have studied with us, many of whom can be found leading top orchestral and choral programs across the globe.
- Stellar faculty. Matthew Halls and Edward Maclary, Director of Choral Activities at University of Maryland and Program Director of the Master Class will serve as master teachers.
- Assist Matthew Halls in the major OBF concerts. Each conductor will be assigned to assist in the rehearsal process for one of the main programs of the Festival including, JS Bach’s B Minor Mass (BWV 232) & Magnificat (BWV 243), Johannes Brahms’ Ein Deutches Requiem, and the world premier of James MacMillan’s Requiem.
- Focus on both historic and contemporary performance styles. Conduct concerts performed on both modern and historically informed instruments.
- Increased seminars on technique and repertoire. Additional classes have been added to the curriculum on technical issues, rehearsal and score preparation.
- Conductor showcase concert. In addition to leading the Discovery Series concerts, participants will conduct choral works of various styles in a special recital.
- Repertoire for the Discovery Series concerts. JS Bach’s Christmas Oratorio (BWV 248) parts 4, 5, & 6.
Conducting or Auditing Participants
Those who audition and are selected as conducting participants will receive hands-on coaching and will lead the Festival orchestra, choruses, and soloists in rehearsal and performance. Auditing participants attend all sessions, participate fully in discussions and seminars, and conduct in a special session at the end of the class.
Need-based financial aid is available to conductors chosen for the class.
DO NOT LET THE COST OF THE PROGRAM KEEP YOU FROM AUDITIONING!
About this entry
You’re currently reading “Oregon Bach Festival 2017,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- September 13, 2016 / 11:13 am