Conducting Master Class with Daniele Gatti and the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra 28 through 30 June 2017
The Conducting Master Class will focus on three orchestral compositions. Four young, highly gifted conductors will study and rehearse these works with Daniele Gatti and the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. The goal will be to develop the participants’ ability to listen to the orchestra and to communicate both verbally and non-verbally with the musicians.
The three sessions with orchestra, on 28, 29 and 30 June 2017, will be open to the public for an admission fee. The participating conductors, as well as other young conductors selected as auditors, will also attend classes with Daniele Gatti, beginning on 27 June 2017.
This Conducting Master Class is made possible by support from the Stichting Ammodo and the Schweizer Mengelberg Stiftung.
- Mozart, Symphony No. 40 in g minor, K. 550 (version without clarinets, edition: Bärenreiter)
- Mahler, Symphony No. 4 (edition: Universal, 1963)
- Stravinsky, Petrushka (1947 version, edition: Boosey)
Profile of participants
- Conductors who have lead rehearsals and performances of at least two different programs with professional orchestras
- Age limit: 35 years (born on or after 29 June 1981)
- Fluent in spoken English
- Able to arrive in Amsterdam on 26 June 2017 and stay through the evening of 30 June 2017
Documents to be submitted
- Application form, including links to video recordings of two or more orchestral works, of which at least one must be from after 1800. The links to recordings on You Tube or another website must be valid through the end of January 2017. Please also send us a password if necessary.
- Copy of passport or birth certificate, with English translation if not in a western European language
- Evidence of having conducted rehearsals and performances of at least two different programs with professional orchestras. Copies of printed programs or letters from orchestra managements may be submitted.
- Letters of recommendation from two professional musicians, at least one of whom must be a conductor
1 November 2016
Selection of participants
The course management will select 4 active participants. Approximately 20 other applicants will be offered the opportunity to attend the course as auditors, including both the rehearsals with orchestra and the classes with Maestro Gatti. There is no right of legal appeal. No correspondence will be conducted regarding the decisions.
Active participants and auditors will be given full scholarships for the course.
The master class will be given in English.
Travel costs (economy air fare and hotel) will be paid for the 4 active participants. Auditors are responsible for their own travel costs. The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra can assist in finding accommodation.
Each participant must pay for his or her meals.
Each participant must provide his or her own scores.
Information and postal address
Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
Ms. M.H.C. Bleeker
Jacob Obrechtstraat 51
Phone: + 31 20 305 10 32
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (only for questions, please do not send documents to this e-mail address)
About this entry
You’re currently reading “Conducting Master Class with Daniele Gatti and the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra 28 through 30 June 2017,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- September 27, 2016 / 9:46 pm