Orchestra Director (with some band) – Purdue University West Lafayette, Indiana
General position overview:
Purdue University Bands & Orchestras invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor of Music to begin August 2017. Responsibilities include serving as conductor of Purdue’s two full orchestras, coordination of the applied music and chamber music programs and conductor of a concert band when needed. The position is a tenure track, 9 month academic year appointment. One additional month of salary will be provided during the summer to assist with recruitment and auditions.
· Serve as the director of the Purdue Philharmonic and Symphony Orchestras with responsibilities for coordination of instruction. This includes planning and carrying out of the daily operation of both ensembles, music preparation and instruction.
· Serve as coordinator of the Applied Music program.
· Coordinate the orchestra chamber music program.
· Direct a university concert band during the fall semester when needed.
· Play a significant role in student recruitment and alumni outreach in cooperation with departmental public relations director.
· Master’s Degree required, Doctorate preferred.
· Successful experience as director of a symphony orchestra is also required.
· Large ensemble conducting and rehearsal experience is essential.
· Minimum of three years of public school and/or college teaching experience preferred.
· The ability to effectively communicate with students, peers, and alumni is an important aspect of this position.
· Individuals with both string and wind background are encouraged to apply.
Required Application Documents:
Send by US mail
· Cover letter
· Curriculum Vita/ Resume
· Three current letters of recommendation.
· Minimum of three additional reference names with telephone and email contact information.
Additional materials may be requested at a future date.
Submission Due Date: 12/1/2016
Address for Submission:
Orchestra Director Search
Dr. Mo Trout, Chair
712 Third Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907
A background check is required for employment in this position.
About this entry
You’re currently reading “Orchestra Director (with some band) – Purdue University West Lafayette, Indiana,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- October 21, 2016 / 9:40 pm