Opening: Music Director/Conductor, West Shore Symphony Orchestra
Who we are:
WSSO is a community orchestra comprised of a wide range of musicians of many ages, including some very talented high school students, young professionals, experienced musicians, and seasoned retirees. The orchestra presents three regular subscription concerts per year and performs summer concerts throughout the Greater Harrisburg area.
The West Shore Symphony Orchestra is a community of Central Pennsylvania musicians who join together for musical fulfillment in performing challenging classical repertoire to inspire, educate, and entertain audiences and enhance the cultural fabric of the region.
For more information, please visit: http://westshoresymphony.org
Through effective musical and personal leadership, the Music Director is expected to:
– Motivate and encourage the best efforts of the orchestra musicians
– Develop challenging repertoire consistent with the abilities of the orchestra
– Serve as principal conductor for three (3) Masterworks Concerts per year
– Oversee personnel and audition incoming members
Duties and Responsibilities:
– Select specific program repertoire for three Masterworks Concerts every season (September through the following May). Masterworks Concerts occur on a Sunday afternoon.
– Lead the dress-rehearsal the day prior to each Masterworks Concert. Dress Rehearsals occur on a Saturday morning.
– Select portions of the Master Works concert repertoire and conduct the orchestra in a Family Concert following each Dress Rehearsal. The family concert will always occur on a Saturday.
– Work with the board to schedule, book venue reservations, and arrange the specific timing of each Masterworks Concert and corresponding dress rehearsal prior to the start of the season.
– Ensure delivery of Program Notes, detailing the repertoire of each Masterworks Concert, at least two weeks prior to said concert’s performance date.
– Prepare for and conduct rehearsals on Monday evenings during the Masterworks season.
– Engage Soloists as necessary.
– Serve on the board of directors.
– Work with the board to arrange music rental and/or purchase agreements where necessary.
– Participate in the educational and communal outreach missions of the orchestra.
Candidates with previous community orchestra experience are preferred. Candidates must have or be able to obtain clearances to allow the person to serve in a public school or work with children in Pennsylvania.
The position pays a base salary of $7,000 – $10,000 per year.
Please include, in your cover letter, your thoughts on the role of the community orchestra and how you might help a community orchestra grow.
To apply, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org prior to March 1.
Please include: a resume, a least three references (at least one of whom must be a musician), past season programs and/or a sample of a proposed future season, and links to videos of your conducting.
About this entry
You’re currently reading “Opening: Music Director/Conductor, West Shore Symphony Orchestra,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- January 26, 2017 / 12:39 am