Conductors’ Summit JULY 16 – JULY 23, 2017
JULY 16 – JULY 23, 2017
A unique opportunity to combine training, performance, conversation, and observation.
Open to the serious conducting student.
Conductor Victor Yampolsky leads the week as Master Teacher, assisted by conductor and Wintergreen Performing Arts’ Artistic Director, Erin Freeman. Providing more than 120 minutes of podium time per student, plus opportunities for two public performances, this program commands a unique position among summer conducting programs. In addition, students will attend daily workshops and seminars on topics including score study, baton technique, bowing and woodwind sessions, public speaking coaching, community outreach and education script writing and delivery, and video review. Finally, Conductors’ Summit students will observe Maestro Yampolsky in rehearsals and performances with the Wintergreen Festival Orchestra.
Conducting sessions include:
- 1 session with a string quintet. (20 minutes per student)
- 2 masterclasses with the full String Chamber Music Academy rehearsing as an orchestra. (20 minutes per student per masterclass)
- 1 performance with the full String Chamber Music Academy performing as an orchestra. (Approx. 15 minutes per student)
- 3 masterclasses with a fully professional chamber ensemble
- 1 public performance of a fully professional chamber ensemble – divided among conducting students. (Approx. 10 minutes per student)
Students may video all sessions. A SD camera with tripod will be provided, or students may use own devices.
Enrollment for active participants will be capped at 6, creating opportunities for conversation, camaraderie, and collegiality.
Auditors are invited to apply as well. Auditors will attend all sessions and receive free admittance to Festival events for the week of July 16 – 23. Auditors must arrange for their own housing, food, and transportation. Enrollment for auditors will be capped at 4.
Pictures from 2015’s Conductors’ Summit
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Private and group lessons in baton technique and score study
- 6 masterclasses and 2 public conducting performances
- Podium time in front of student and professional musicians
- Video permissions for all sessions; videos with professional ensembles may be used for applications and self-study; videos with student ensemble may be publicly used.
- Video and portfolio review
- Sessions on bowing technique, woodwind tuning, career development, educational and community programming, public speaking, and more.
With questions or for more information: email@example.com
Victor Yampolsky – Master Teacher, WSMA Conductors’ Summit; Director of Orchestras, Northwestern University
Erin R. Freeman – Artistic Director, Wintergreen Performing Arts
With Wintergreen Festival Orchestra members:
- Brahms Serenade No. 1 – Original Nonet version (arr. Alan Boustead).
With String Chamber Music Academy:
- Janacek: Idyll (1878)
- Bloch: Concerto Grosso
- Tichelli: Rest for String Orchestra
- Shostakovich: Symphony No. 9
- Application Fees: $45 on or before Feb 1, 2016/$65 Feb 2, 2016 and after
- Tuition: $1600 (scholarships available)
- Room and Board: $480 (Room and Board includes all food and lodging, free admission to the aquatics center, a Festival t-shirt, admission to all Festival events, and transportation to and from the Charlottesville airport, train station, or bus terminal.)
APPLICATION DEADLINES & AUDITION INFO
February 1 – Early Bird Deadline
March 1 – Application review begins. Applications submitted after this date will be reviewed as positions are available.
Visithttps://app.getacceptd.com/wintergreen and choose the Conductors’ Summit from the drop-down menu for complete audition requirements.
About this entry
You’re currently reading “Conductors’ Summit JULY 16 – JULY 23, 2017,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- March 7, 2017 / 2:17 pm