ARTISTIC DIRECTOR/CONDUCTOR SEARCH ANNOUNCEMENT Coeur d’Alene, Idaho
The Coeur d’Alene Symphony Orchestra, Inc. announces a search for a dynamic and talented Artistic Director/Conductor for the Coeur d’Alene Symphony Orchestra (CSO). The ideal candidate will possess long-range vision, leadership and a strong commitment to continuing the exciting growth of the CSO, together with significant conducting experience, musical talent and the proven ability to produce a performance experience of the highest caliber.
ABOUT THE CSO
Beginning in 1979 as a community orchestra, the Coeur d’ Alene Symphony has become a highly respected regional orchestra with visionary leadership and strong community ties and support. The
2017-2018 Season will mark the Symphony’s 39th Season. Each year the CSO performs 6 concert cycles beginning with a Labor Day concert in the Park and five evening/matinee performances throughout the year, with additional concerts and fundraising events during the summer. The CSO holds an annual Young Artist’s Solo Competition, drawing contestants from across the county and abroad. Entrants often number over 100 and finalists travel to Spokane, WA, to compete on the campus of Whitworth University. Recent winners have included rising stars Adrian Steele (2015) and Yesong Sophie Lee (2016). Each year contestants compete within high school, college, and professional divisions, and winners perform with the Coeur d’ Alene Symphony.
• Plan with the Artistic Committee the CSO season of 6 concert cycles between September-May, and additional summer concerts and fundraising events, including repertoire and guest soloists, with programs designed to broaden the community appeal of the CSO;
• Effective musical and personal leadership skills to audition and select members of the orchestra, including the concertmaster and section principals, assign seating, and select soloists;
• Thorough knowledge of the orchestral repertoire and styles and a proven interest in developing imaginative programming;
• Ability to motivate and elicit the best efforts of paid and volunteer musicians to ensure the continued artistic growth of the orchestra;
• Awareness of current soloists and processes in obtaining their services;
• Proven application of effective baton technique coupled with a podium presence which enables the orchestra to perform at the highest level and enhances the quality of the orchestra’s performance;
• Effective and efficient rehearsal approach which includes knowledge of instrumental techniques, communication of overall interpretive goals, setting high standards for rehearsal preparation, and stressing regular attendance and commitment to a high level of performance.
GENERAL and ADMINISTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES/QUALIFICATIONS
• Support fundraising by actively participating in the promotional endeavors of the CSO;
• Improve the visibility of the CSO as an artistic resource within the community;
• Collaborate and cooperate with CSO Board of Directors to supervise the administrative staff and as part of a management team;
• Serve as an ex-officio and non-voting member of the CSO Board of Directors;
• Work with the CSO staff and Board of Directors in developing an annual budget for the orchestral season and diligently strive to operate within the approved budget;
• Proficiency in email and commonly-used Microsoft Office software (e.g. Word, Excel).
• Previous conducting experience
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Residence within 180 miles of Coeur d’Alene, ID
• Legal ability to work for any employer within the United States
• Previous adult orchestral conducting experience with a community, regional, or semi-professional orchestra
• Experience with fundraising and working with a Board of Directors
• Administrative/supervisory experience
• Master’s degree in a musical field
Salary depending on experience and qualifications.
All application packets are to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
and must contain the following:
1. Personal letter of interest;
2. Resume detailing education and experience including recent repertoire rehearsed/performed;
3. Three (3) professional references;
4. A YouTube high-quality video recording of a performance of two contrasting styles, both of which occurred within the last two (2) years, not to exceed thirty (30) minutes each. Note: If a link or password is required to access the video you must submit this information to the CSO, otherwise your application will be considered incomplete.
All applications will be confidential. Application materials will not be returned. Your application packet must contain your name and all contact information including your mailing address, email address, and phone number. Candidates for further consideration will be contacted regarding the next part of the application procedure. Submit your application materials and correspondence to email@example.com. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or other legally protected characteristics.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 6:00 P.M., FRIDAY APRIL 7TH, 2017. ANY APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THIS DATE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
About Coeur d’Alene:
Located on the shores of one of the Inland Northwest’s most beautiful lakes, the city of Coeur d’Alene is home to approximately 48,000 serving a greater population of approximately 147,000 within Kootenai County. Just 30 miles from Spokane Washington, Coeur d’ Alene is part of a major metropolitan area with over 1/2-million people. The city supports a vibrant arts community, with festivals, galleries, summer theater, North Idaho College, and the Symphony. After a day of world class golfing at the Coeur d’ Alene Resort (or an afternoon strolling through the outstanding farmer’s market), enjoy a frosty mug at the local brewery, followed by dinner at one of the city’s many fine restaurants. The perfect combination of rural and city life, Coeur d’ Alene is an easy interstate drive of 40 miles from Spokane International Airport, but enjoys the slower pace of a community nestled in the beautiful forests of Idaho.
- YouTube Video/Audio Recordings of CSO: email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive links to private videos of selected performance works
- Click here to view/download the PDF of the Conductor Search Announcement and Application Requirements or email email@example.com
- Click here to view/download the PDF of the CSO Artistic Director Job Description or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click here to view/download the PDF of the CSO’s Repertoire for the Last Five Years or email email@example.com
- Click here to view/download the PDF of the 2017-2018 CSO Repertoire (draft, subject to change) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click here to learn more about living in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho
About this entry
You’re currently reading “ARTISTIC DIRECTOR/CONDUCTOR SEARCH ANNOUNCEMENT Coeur d’Alene, Idaho,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- March 10, 2017 / 12:27 pm