Aurora Conducting Master classes 2017
Trollhättan 30 September – 8 October 2017
Welcome to apply for Aurora Conducting Master classes with world-renowned conductor Maestro VladimirAshkenazy and legendary finnish professor & conductor Jorma Panula.
This is a good opportunity to receive advice for your further music education and career. To gain and further expand your international network.
The classes’ takes place during the ongoing Aurora Festival where you will have free entrance to top class concerts.
Take risks, inspire audiences, meet people and have fun.
Become an integral part of a performing arts community of which many of the world’s most important performers are also members.
In recent years, over 3000 amazing young artists from 50 countries have participated during the now world famous Aurora Master Classes & Festivals.
We take pride in what we offer our participants. Please take time to read all of the information before you apply.
Course period:30 September – 8 October 2017 (travelling days 29/9 and 9/10). It is an absolute requirement that all participants are in place in Trollhättan throughout the whole course period!
Application Deadline: 10 August 2017
Accommodation: Good offers starting from 200 SEK/night will be presented shortly
Course fee:12 000 SEK
Registration fee: 800 SEK
APPLICATION SCHEDULE – STEP BY STEP:
- 10 August: Last application day. Selection process based on individual application: CV & video
- 15 August: Announce selected 4 students for Maestro Ashkenazy, 6 selected students for Maestro Panula (by e-mail)
- 18 August: Last day to pay the course fee 12 000 SEK for selected participants
- 19 August – 29 September: Individual preparations
- 29 September – 8 October: Course days in Trollhättan
- Certificate: On concluding the course, all participants will receive an Aurora Chamber Music certificate.
FOR ALL 10 CONDUCTORS THE FOLLOWING APPLIES:
- The individual conducting of the Aurora Symphony Orchestra will be video recorded. This will be individually analyzed in class.
- Auscultation at all daily orchestra rehearsals/masterclasses with Maestro Vladimir Ashkenazy & Jorma Panula (approx. 3-4h/day) 30 September – 8 October.
- Actively participate at daily seminars (scores study, performance practice, beating technique, leadership. Traditional forms of composition and contemporary notation, playing style and shape thinking)
and review sessions with Maestro Ashkenazy & Jorma Panula.
- Access to all closed masterclasses on all orchestra instrument and chamber music
- Free entrance to all festival concerts
- 4 students (from the total of 10 selected students) will lead Aurora Symphony Orchestra during masterclass (approx. 2 x 45 min/student) and public concert (1 overture each). All this under guidance of Maestro Ashkenazy & Panula.
- 6 students (from the total of 10 selected students) will lead Aurora Symphony Orchestra rehearsals, Tshaikovsky – Symphony no 5, 1 x 45 min + conducting masterclass and concert performance with big chamber ensembles, like nonets and octets etc under guidance of Maestro Panula.
Preliminary repertoire list
The selected participants shall prepare and study this repertoire to be able to meet and receive the teaching, achieve the course objectives.
Orchestra – prel.
- Tshaikovsky – Symphony no 5
- C. Saint-Saens – Cello concerto
- J. Haydn – Cello concerto in C
- Mozart – Ouverture from The magic flute
- A . Dvorak – Carnival Overture
- L.V.Beethoven – Leonora Overture no 3
- J. Sibelius – Finlandia
Chamber Music with conductor – prel.
- Varese – Octandre
- Stravinsky – Octet for Wind Instruments
- Debussy/Schoenberg Verein – Prélude à l’après-midi d’un faune
- Strauss – Suite in B-flat major, Op. 4
- Strauss – Serenade in E-flat major, Op. 7
- Charles Ives – The Unanswered Question for chamber group
Aurora Conducting Master Class: the fee for Aurora Conducting Master Class is 12 000 SEK for the entire duration of the course.
The registration fee of 800 SEK shall be paid with credit card (MasterCard or Visa) immediately when submitting the application. You cannot complete the application without also paying the registration fee. This fee covers costs and administration for review of all applications, documents and recordings. Therefore, the registration fee will under no circumstances be re-funded.
The course fee of 12 000 SEK for the 10 selected participants. The selection will be sent to all applicants latest 15 August including more information and further instructions how to pay the course fee to be paid with credit card (MasterCard or Visa) no later than 18 August. Failure of completed payment latest 18 August means next person will be offered your place.
If you are not selected to Aurora Conducting Master Class, after that selection, you could then possibly be offered a place at Aurora Conducting Seminar instead, which has a course fee of 3000 SEK. At the Aurora Conducting Seminar you will be a part of the group of conductors and follow all classes, rehearsals, review sessions, concerts, master classes closely
The course fees are not included accommodation, food or travel however Aurora offers participants good and cheap accommodation options starting from 200 SEK/night
Profile of requirements
The course is aimed at advanced students and/or musicians who have completed a course of musical study (instrumental study, singing or conducting) and who already have some experience of conducting.
The age limit is 35 years. Teaching will be given in English.
After all complete applications have been received; the course organizers will decide which applicants will be admitted to the course. The results will be announced 15 August 2017.
10 students will be admitted.
On receiving notification of acceptance for the course, the selected students must confirm their attendance and pay the course fee by the specified deadline. Otherwise the course organizers will offer your place to another applicant.
The organizers’ decisions are final. No legal recourse will be permitted; no correspondence will be entered into.
Obligations / insurance
Students must declare that they are willing to create diary entries or post information on Facebook, and be prepared to give short interviews.
Aurora Chamber Music retains all rights in respect of photographic or video materials which have been created during the course or recorded at the concerts.
Students are responsible for obtaining visas and paying visa costs.
Students must also pay for their own insurance.
About this entry
You’re currently reading “Aurora Conducting Master classes 2017,” an entry on All the conducting masterclasses
- April 20, 2017 / 9:58 am